Symbol library advice

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

PeteW1959
Registered Member

Symbol library advice

Post by PeteW1959 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 pm

I want to use use QCAD for electrical drawings. I have in the past used Generic CADD (DOS, does anyone remember that!) and then Visual CADD, but Visual CADD is now outside my budget (£460)

I am used to being able to create a library of electrical symbols and being able to place them in the diagram at any scale, angle or reflection that i want, and to change the reference point, all 'on the fly'.

I have downloaded the Electrical symbols library, and created some of my own, but can't work out how to seamlessly place them into the drawing. At the moment I am placing the symbol, changing the orientation etc., then moving it; this is far too slow for diagrams that have hundreds of symbols.

Is there an easier way to do this?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Symbol library advice

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm

You can rotate, scale and flip the inserted symbol on the fly using the options available in the options toolbar at the top:
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 12.24.21.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 12.24.21.png (21.67 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
You can also use F5/F6 to rotate by a configured amount (see Edit > Application Preferences > Edit > Rotate) while inserting.

After inserting the symbol, you can select it and rotate it using F5/F6 or move it by a configured distance (see Edit > Application Preferences > Edit > Move)) using the arrow keys or shift + arrow keys

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am

F5 and F6 doesn't work here on macOS 10.12.6 due to macOS attached functions.
Is it possible to change the key assignment?

Thomas

PS
There are some bug fixes announced for the next release. When will it be released?
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:05 am

TSG wrote:F5 and F6 doesn't work here on macOS 10.12.6 due to macOS attached functions.
Is it possible to change the key assignment?

Edit > Application Preferences > General > Tool Settings > Edit > Quick Modify > Rotate Counter-Clockwise / Rotate Clockwise > Shortcuts
TSG wrote:There are some bug fixes announced for the next release. When will it be released?
As soon as time allows...

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 am

Sometimes I think I'm blind...

Thanks Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”