Help with drawing a slotted shape....

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Grogster
Newbie Member

Help with drawing a slotted shape....

Post by Grogster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:46 am

Hello all. :)

First things first: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 8GB RAM, QCAD 3.21 (Build 26th June 2018)

Project: Flat wall panel. 1mm mild steel plate.

I am trying to figure out how to draw a slotted shape. Circles and lines are no problems - I have worked out how to do that. I am trying to draw the outline for a keyswitch. These switches CAN be mounted in a simple round hole, but they are better mounted in a slotted hole, so that the switch becomes captive by the panel, and cannot turn in the hole if someone uses more force then they should.

Here is a drawing of what I am trying to do:
Slotted Hole.jpg
Slotted Hole.jpg (3.5 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
The length and width will be whatever my callipers tell me they need to be, but can any members here prod me in the right direction in how to do these kinds of shapes? I have found out how to do arcs, but it only lets me put the 'flat bit' on one side of the shape, not both sides. I am sure there is a way to do this, but a little help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. 8)

Grogster
Newbie Member

Re: Help with drawing a slotted shape....

Post by Grogster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:07 am

I might have worked this one out.....

Draw two semi-curcular arcs of the right size, and join them together with short straight lines.
Forgive me. I'm a newbie.... :cry:

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Help with drawing a slotted shape....

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:34 am

Hi Grogster,
Grogster wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:07 am
I might have worked this one out.....

Draw two semi-curcular arcs of the right size, and join them together with short straight lines.
Forgive me. I'm a newbie.... :cry:
That should work. :wink:
Anyway, there is never only one single solution - it depends always on the situation itself and how familiar you are with all QCAD tools. With other words there is no "right"or "wrong" to get that task done.

My first thought to your "slotted hole" was to use a line (total length of the hole minus 2 radius),
then use "Parallel with distance" (distance = width of the slotted hole),
and finally close the hole with the arc tool "2 Points and Hight) / Hight = width.
Note that the 2 Points and Hight tool has an option for the direction of the arc ... :wink:

Husky-2018.07.01-01.png
Husky-2018.07.01-01.png (23.8 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”