MIrror a block with text in it

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

RaNoPlus

MIrror a block with text in it

Post by RaNoPlus » Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi,
When I mirror a block with a text in it it also mirrors the text. Is there any command as in Autocad (mirrtext) of anything to prevent mirroring the text?
I use a drawing created by someone else. I know that making an attribute from the (simple)text would help. But also this option (using an attribute instead of the text) is not working really good in Qcad. Have you got a solution? Iam running Qcad on MacBook Pro 2020, 16". Qcad version: 3.24.3.0 (3.24.3). Thank you in advance for a quick reply.
Regards,
Radek
Attachments
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (670.61 KiB) Viewed 12476 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: MIrror a block with text in it

Post by Husky » Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi,
RaNoPlus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm

When I mirror a block with a text in it it also mirrors the text. Is there any command as in Autocad (mirrtext) of anything to prevent mirroring the text?
I use a drawing created by someone else.
QCAD doesn't mirror text or dim without exploding it. The question is: Is your text really text? Can you attache an dxf example?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. It's a block (for example: 1 Conn Rebar). See attached dwg. I tried to mirror the text within the bock and it works just fine (no mirroring) but if you insert a block into the drawing and mirror it then the text mirrors as well.
Attachments
1306081-0 REV 8, 05-05-2020.dwg
(10.54 MiB) Downloaded 442 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Thank you for the drawing.
I can reproduce the issue and know that isn't intended behavior. I would consider that as a bug ... :shock:

Please fill a bug report below www.qcad.org/bugtracker .... or do you want me to do it?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed May 06, 2020 12:15 am

Husky wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 pm
.... or do you want me to do it?
... to late. e_surprised :wink:

Bugreport:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2072

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Wed May 06, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Husky
Thank you! I am glad to hear that this is not my fault :D I hope you can fix this quickly.
Regards
Radek

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am

According to this, mirrtext in Autocad does not affect texts in blocks.

That attributes behave differently might still be implemented in QCAD at one point.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am
That attributes behave differently might still be implemented in QCAD at one point.
I don't understand your point ... :oops:
That isn't only an AC issue - something has changed in QCAD.
Right now different QCAD versions display the same drawing differently. Means that that I've to check ALL previos drawing for changes in how QCAD displays blocks with text/dimensions?

Husky-2020.05.06-09.png
Orig. block
Husky-2020.05.06-09.png (21.63 KiB) Viewed 12372 times

Same drawing loaded in different QCAD versions:

Husky-2020.05.06-08.png
Husky-2020.05.06-08.png (19.65 KiB) Viewed 12372 times

Husky-2020.05.06-10.png
Husky-2020.05.06-10.png (20.4 KiB) Viewed 12372 times
flipped block.dxf
(106.43 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi,
Do I reed it correctly that this is a bug coming with the newest version of Qcad? I am working with version 3.24.3.0.
What is your expectation of fixing this bug. I need to correct the drawing I sent you as an example. As you could see the half of this drawing is mirrored (and rotated). It means 100 blocks which has to be exploded and mirrored :shock: ...... if there is no other solution. So I hope you can fix it quickly. Thanks in advance!
Regards Radek

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm

QCAD 3.24.0 has introduced non-uniform scaling of blocks. The only way to achieve this was to change the way how block references are rendered. A block is essentially rendered through a transformation matrix (applying the rotation, scale and translation).

As you can probably imagine, it's hard that way to somehow exclude texts from the transformation or treat them in any way differently.

As it happens, Autocad (and other, compatible programs) have the same issue, probably for similar reasons.

Long story short: the new "bug" is actually a somewhat unfortunate bug fix, making QCAD >= 3.24.0 more compatible with other CAD systems. This change was not intended and creates indeed an inconsistency between QCAD < 3.24.0 and QCAD >= 3.24.0.

RaNoPlus: Perhaps, you might want to downgrade to QCAD 3.23 for the time being?

Husky: in a future version there might have to be a preference for this, letting you choose between the Autocad compatible mode with support for non-uniform scaling and the legacy QCAD 3.23 mode with special text treatment (strictly speaking wrong).

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi Andrew,
Ok, good explanation. I understand the issue now. But, my question now is. How can I download 3.23 version? I Have checked my download site I received after purchasing Qcad and there are only 3.24 versions to be downloaded.
Other question is- will the blocks get to "normal behaviour/ mirroring" in the old version (3.23)? It means- wil all the texts be normally readable or mirrored (the blocks are already mirrored). Or do I have to delete all the blocks and mirror everything again?
Thank you for your reply.
Regards Radek

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu May 07, 2020 6:16 am

andrew wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm
Long story short: the new "bug" is actually a somewhat unfortunate bug fix, making QCAD >= 3.24.0 more compatible with other CAD systems. This change was not intended and creates indeed an inconsistency between QCAD < 3.24.0 and QCAD >= 3.24.0.
Thanks Andrew - sounds like there wasn't really an option to do it differently. :(
andrew wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm
Husky: in a future version there might have to be a preference for this, letting you choose between the Autocad compatible mode with support for non-uniform scaling and the legacy QCAD 3.23 mode with special text treatment (strictly speaking wrong).
Sounds like a solution but right now I'm not sure how practically that would be. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 am

RaNoPlus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 pm
How can I download 3.23 version?
I've sent you an e-mail with a direct link.
RaNoPlus wrote:
Other question is- will the blocks get to "normal behaviour/ mirroring" in the old version (3.23)?
I can't tell that for sure (I don't have the DXF file). It behaves differently and generally does not mirror texts (only the text position). Whether that's exactly what you want is up to you to test and decide. Keep in mind that any other CAD will very likely mirror texts in blocks (like QCAD 3.24).

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am

andrew wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 am
RaNoPlus wrote:
How can I download 3.23 version?
I've sent you an e-mail with a direct link.
Thank you, I have downloaded it and the old version is working just fine.
RaNoPlus wrote:
Other question is- will the blocks get to "normal behaviour/ mirroring" in the old version (3.23)?
I can't tell that for sure (I don't have the DXF file). It behaves differently and generally does not mirror texts (only the text position). Whether that's exactly what you want is up to you to test and decide. Keep in mind that any other CAD will very likely mirror texts in blocks (like QCAD 3.24).
As you can see, the text is not mirrored. That's good! But unfortunately the draftsman who made the drawing made the blocks with the reference point on the 'wrong' place so the blocks are now 'broken'. It means the arrows and dots are on the another place. Also the texts in the hexagons are moved. So it means I'll have to 'repair' this anyway. But it's good to see that this version of Qcad works with block- texts as I expect.
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (766.2 KiB) Viewed 12322 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am

RaNoPlus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am
It means the arrows and dots are on the another place. Also the texts in the hexagons are moved. So it means I'll have to 'repair' this anyway. But it's good to see that this version of Qcad works with block- texts as I expect.
Have a close look at the single blocks. It looks to me that you can "repair" a lot with just editing the blocks. Correct the text reference, position the text correctly and get rid of this block in block situation (the red "dot" is a block with a "funny" reference point and ruins the correct positioning of that main block).

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”