[Solved] viewports

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

spectric

[Solved] viewports

Post by spectric » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi all

I am using the latest version of Qcad on Windows 10 .

I think I have the basic's of using viewports but what I want and what I am getting are different. I thought viewports allow you to have say a main part of the drawing and then other viewports that show detail, which to achieve would mean different magnification levels for both viewports but I am finding they zoom in / out together.

thanks Roy
Last edited by spectric on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: viewports

Post by ryancousins » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Your explanation of viewports seems generally correct. Keep in mind that the viewports are essentially pasted down onto your paperspace. While placing each viewport, you have the option to change the scale to achieve the magnification you want for each viewport independent of any others. But once your viewports are placed down on the paperspace, zooming in and out would indeed zoom in and out on your entire paper as one object, analogous to moving a hand drafted sheet of paper closer or further from your eyes.

spectric

Post by spectric » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:57 pm

Hi Ryan

That has answered my question, I need to set the magnification before placement of the viewport which is where I have been going wrong.

Thanks Roy

spectric

[Solved]viewports

Post by spectric » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone

This is now solved. It was so obvious once I was told what I was doing wrong, always the same when the solution is right under your nose! This has opened up an entire new dimension of Qcad that I have not been taking advantage of, such a great feature.

thanks Roy
Last edited by spectric on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:06 pm

That is correct. If you need to change the scaling after the viewport is placed, you do have the option to select the viewport, then change its scale value in the properties editor.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”