Autosave

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

tsftom
Newbie Member

Autosave

Post by tsftom » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm running Qcad 3.12.1.0 (2015 build) on Linux Mint 17 . Everything works fine but I cannot figure out if Autosave is working properly. It is Enabled in the setup dialog but I cannot find where anything is saved or how to go back to a saved version. Is it saved as a dxf file with .bak extension? Also, I cannot find any settings for directing the saved files to a particular location (path). Is this feature not working on my version? I'd appreciate some advice on this matter.
Tamas

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Autosave

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Auto save saves your file at intervals using the same path and file name as the loaded file but with a ~ in front of the file name (e.g. /home/user/data/~mydrawing.dxf).
These auto save files are automatically deleted when you save your drawing manually. Should a crash occur, QCAD will ask you if you want to recover the last auto saved version.

If you are looking for a history of your changes or an old version of your drawing, I'm afraid auto save is not the place to look.

In the future, you could use a simple manual versioning system (save as mydrawing001.dxf, mydrawing002.dxf, ...) for this or a full blown version control system such as git or subversion. Needless to say, regular full automatic backups are mandatory for any serious computer user.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”