Unable to Read Layers in Some .dwg Files

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Read Layers in Some .dwg Files

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am

As far as I can tell, layer "A-FLOR-PATT-E" does not contain anything. Can you indicate what you expected to find on that layer?

alcpe

Post by alcpe » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Attached is a PDF with 2 layers visible: The frame is DEFPOINTS and patterns inside the frame is A-FLOR-PATT-E.
Two Layers.pdf
(10.16 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:18 am

OK, thanks.

I can see that these patterns are block references, for example block "*X18". If you open that block in QCAD (double-click in block list), and select all, you can see that it contains many zero length lines. These zero lines are invisible in QCAD. I've corrected this problem for the next release which will show these zero length lines as dots.

Bug report at:
FS#1557 - Zero length lines not shown

alcpe

Post by alcpe » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Now I suppose I need to educate myself of "Model Space" vs. "Paper Space." I sort of understand what's going on with this file. It seems to me that the originator of the file made it unnecessarily complicated. I would think that all the usable layers should be visible on "Model Space." Thanks very much for working with me on this file!

alcpe

Post by alcpe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Well, indeed, the zero length lines do show up as dots in the latest release. Cool!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”