pdf and bitmaps

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jackieh

pdf and bitmaps

Post by jackieh » Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 pm

hi again folks
Another project, another pdf problem...
I have a photo as a backdrop to my QCAD drawing, and I want to fade it out a bit. I can do this easily on screen using the property editor and it looks fine, but when I come to create a pdf file the photo is not faded at all. Last time I tried this (January, different files), I didn't have a problem, so I'm not sure why I do now. I've just reinstalled QCAD with your latest stable version to see if that made any difference and it didn't. I've just tried to attach the file, so you could see for yourself but it's too large (2.13MB).

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Jackie

andrew
Site Admin

Re: pdf and bitmaps

Post by andrew » Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Please:
- indicate the operating system you are using and the version thereof
- indicate the exact version of QCAD you are using (see Help > About or QCAD > About QCAD)

Thanks.

jackieh

Post by jackieh » Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 am

The QCAD I'm using is 3.16.7.0 and the operating system is Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks, Jackie

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 pm

I can confirm that images cannot be exported with transparency to PDF.

This appears to be a limitation (or bug) in the Qt libraries we are using. I've issued a bug report at:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60677

On some systems, you can easily work around this by using the PDF export offered by the operating system through the printer dialog. Under Windows, this might also work using a PDF printer driver.

jackieh

Post by jackieh » Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Ok - thanks for finding out for me. I don't think I have the workaround you mentioned, but I'll investigate. Would you be able to let me know when the bug is fixed?

Jackie

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm

jackieh wrote:Would you be able to let me know when the bug is fixed?
Better don't hold your breath :( There are more pressing bugs in Qt that have been around for months or even years. Fortunately, we were able to patch those on our end, but this one cannot be easily patched for Windows systems. Though, we'll probably patch it for macOS and Linux.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”