[solved] Preferences on Mac

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jason_clark
Newbie Member

[solved] Preferences on Mac

Post by jason_clark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

I’ve searched through the forum, but cannot find a solution to this. Simply, on macOS High Sierra (10.13), NO preference changes are saved at all. Every time the application is opened, it defaults to the original state. I found mention of making changes one at a time elsewhere, apparently solving a similar the issue, but for me, this makes no difference whatsoever. Anyone else getting this? This is QCAD Pro, version 3.19.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Preferences on Mac

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce this here.

You might want to check if there is a problem with permissions:
- Open a Finder window.
- Choose menu Go > Go to Folder...
- Enter ~/.config/QCAD and click Go.
- You should now see the file QCAD3.ini.
- Right-click (or ctrl-click) on that file and choose Get Info.
- Open the panel Sharing & Permissions at the bottom.
- It should say You can read and write
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 18.46.07.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 18.46.07.png (265.93 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

jason_clark
Newbie Member

Post by jason_clark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Andrew. Thanks for that suggestion. You may have found the problem inasmuch as that file doesn't exist on my machine. I've also done a manual search as well as the normal route you outlined. I've removed that application (AppCleaner) then tried reinstalling, but still that same. Odd! Can i recreate this file with textpad and place it somewhere?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

jason_clark wrote:Odd! Can i recreate this file with textpad and place it somewhere?
No, QCAD won't be able to find it, unless it's in the right path.

If you are comfortable working with the Terminal, you can try to create the folder for the file manually:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.config/QCAD
If this triggers an error, there is a permission problem and the error will likely tell you more.

You can also check the permission of your home folder and folder ~/.config as follows:

ls -ald ~
and

ls -ald ~/.config
In both cases, the output should start with:

drwxr-xr-x

jason_clark
Newbie Member

Post by jason_clark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Andrew, I've discovered my system won't allow the creation of a .config folder at that location as it's reserved for system folders/files. I have full admin privileges, but it won't allow it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Did you try to create ~/.config in a Terminal as suggested or in Finder? Note that Finder will never let you create such a folder (not even as admin).

jason_clark
Newbie Member

Post by jason_clark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Andrew, thank you. Got there! The permissions were as you stated, but it wouldn't work, so I re-applied the permissions to the enclosed items option and it then started working. Not sure why I didn't have full permissions over my own folder, but it now works. Thank you for your help!

jason_clark
Newbie Member

Post by jason_clark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, sorry, I was using Terminal.

Thanks again for your help! I'm not really a 'CAD person', but need to use/translate CAD files as part of my workflow occasionally, and QCAD seems to be, by far, the best solution I have come across. It feels more intuitive and simpler to use, yet powerful. Thank you!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

jason_clark wrote:I re-applied the permissions to the enclosed items option and it then started working.
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. Glad it's sorted. And thanks for the valuable feedback.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”