[solved] DXF too small

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

sdev
Newbie Member

[solved] DXF too small

Post by sdev » Tue May 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Hello. I have obtained some DWG files from our surveyor and have been trying to work with them using QCAD (
17-0209-MBS_03-2D-Jul17.dwg
). When they are opened they seem fine and can reviewed and edited no problem. When I come to print, however, they appear very small on the A4 preview. With drawing and paper units set to mm, in an A4 print preview the drawings are 1000 times too small. I can only get them to a proper scale by setting the paper units to mm and the drawing units to metres or by scaling up by x1000. I thought that all drawings were at 1:1 so cannot understand how this can be. Is this a problem with the files themselves (example enclosed) or have I misunderstood something fundamental about the program. I am running QCAD 3.20.1 on a Mac (High Sierra OS).

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: DXF too small

Post by Husky » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Hello sdev - welcome to the QCAD Forum.
Thanks for the example drawing - that makes things always easier ....

First of all - yes, your understanding is correct that a drawing should be in 1:1. This example drawing is drawn without a unit (None - not uncommon!) but it looks to me it is meant to be in Meter.
I would recoment to change the unit from None to Meter - I assume that will make your life less complicatet in the long run.

Question: This drawing is prepared to print out of Model_Space OR out of Paper_Space. Which one will you use?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

sdev
Newbie Member

Post by sdev » Tue May 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the help. Not sure what the difference between Paper_Space and Model_Space is. I guess model space is the 1:1 representation in the computer whilst the paper space is what it thinks will be on the paper template set up by the originator. I can get things to scale appropriately if I am in Model_Space with drawing units set to metre and paper units to mm. Is this what I should be doing? Every other permutation doesn't seem to give a sensible print preview

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue May 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Ok, for now let us concentrate of printing out of Model_Space.

My adjustments to your drawing are:

Unit:
Husky-2018.05.01-01.png
Husky-2018.05.01-01.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Page:
Husky-2018.05.01-02.png
Husky-2018.05.01-02.png (31.36 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Print Preview / Scale
Husky-2018.05.01-03.png
Husky-2018.05.01-03.png (71.38 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Those settings will bring you in the situation to print one Floor of your drawing on an A4 Paper.

To get a better understanding of Printing settings I recommend to study briefly this tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3317

I'll send you a modifies version of your drawing via PM. :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

sdev
Newbie Member

Post by sdev » Wed May 02, 2018 12:12 am

Thanks very much for your help. That seems to sort the problem

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 am

You're welcome.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”