[solved] Dotted lines solid in PDF export

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Rantanplan7

[solved] Dotted lines solid in PDF export

Post by Rantanplan7 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:21 am

Hi there,

I have cannot understand the behaviour of a dotted line if I go to print preview.
Example, I have a drawing in the scale 1:50 to fit nice on a A4 sheet, if I change a line to a dotted line and I can't see any change.
I can understand this as I can see the dotted line when I zoom in. When I zoom out I would have to change the dotted line scale to 1:50 to see it - but if I change to print preview it is gone. What is happening when I change to print preview? Everything on the sheet stays as it is but a dotted line changes the scaling of the dots and the length stays the same.
Not sure if my description is clear enough to understand my problem?
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Dotted lines solid in PDF export

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:24 am

Please attach a drawing that demonstrates this behaviour. There are various settings that can influence line types (line weight, scale factors, etc).

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 am

DottedLines.jpg
DottedLines.jpg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
There you go.
Scale of the sheet is 1:50. Both rectangles are identical and with dotted lines. The right one is 1:50 and the left one is 1:5 - still fine to me.

DottedLines2.jpg
DottedLines2.jpg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
Now this is visible after I zoom in - still happy with that.
DottedLines3.jpg
DottedLines3.jpg (105.72 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
This is what happens after I go to print preview and I have no idea why.
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:42 am

Please attach a drawing file (DXF or DWG), thanks.

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am

DottedLines.dxf
(237.39 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
As well maybe it helps to understand why this is annoying to me.
If I make a drawing and I want to show that a part of a cutting system is already existing I'm changing that item to red colour and dotted lines. In a complex drawing it is not nice if the dotted lines are there but not visible.
Best Regards

Sven

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:32 pm

First, please note that linetypes are defined for printing / paper space, not for on screen display.

For example ISO dash is defined as 12mm dash, 3mm gap for a line that is printed 1mm wide, when the linetype scale is 1.

The pattern density is adjusted by the line weight (thinner lines -> denser pattern) and the linetype scale which is simply a fixed factor that is applied to the pattern.

In your drawing, the lines are quite large which means that the 12mm/3mm pattern would appear extremely dense in model space which is probably why you applied a linetype scale factor.

I would not recommend this.

Instead, you might want to proceed as follows:
- Set all linetype scales to 1, unless you really want them to print differently than what is defined, i.e. different from 12mm / 3mm for a 1mm wide line for ISO dash.
- If you wish to visualize linetypes in model space as well, use View > Screen-based linetypes. You can automatically switch to screen-based linetypes in model space by checking Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Appearance > Linetypes > Automatically use screen based linetypes in model view
- To adjust linetypes for printing, be sure to be in print preview, so you see what you get. You can experiment with different patterns, linetype scales and lineweights.

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks a lot Andrew. To change the preferences works well for me.
Best Regards

Sven

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”