Some DXF files import as 1D

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Freddiej2
Newbie Member

Some DXF files import as 1D

Post by Freddiej2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Some DXF files I import from solvespace do not import properly in QCAD. Yes these same files can be read properly by some online viewers such as https://3axis.co/dxf-viewer/dxf-viewer/ and can be read by LibreCad, so I know the fault does not lie in the DXF files, but lies squarely with QCAD. I am supposing that given a DXF file with X,Y, and Z coordinates, it is only readling the X and Y coordinates, thus if the particular view, for example, is in the XZ plane, it will collapse all the entities to a line or a point. I will never buy or invest in this program until this is fixed.

Interested to hear if anyone else has found this to be true. See the attached DXF. When it is imported in QCAD, it is just a line, but if you viewed in the link provided above, you can see that it is not.
Attachments
FWD033-LEFT.dxf
(56.77 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Some DXF files import as 1D

Post by andrew » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

There are many different DXF readers with various degrees on tolerating issues in DXF files.
so I know the fault does not lie in the DXF files, but lies squarely with QCAD
autocad360.com (the official Autocad standard free online DXF/DWG viewer) does not load the file at all:

Code: Select all

Unrecoverable exit code from extractor: -1073741831
This would indicate that there is definitely an issue with the file. Note that the DXF format is defined by Autodesk, maker of Autocad which notoriously has a zero tolerance for erroneous DXF files.

I can confirm that the default importer of QCAD (based on Teigha) is also unable to import the geometry in this file.

However, you can explicitly choose to use another, more tolerant importer based on dxflib:
File > Open > Filter: DXF Files [dxflib]

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”