grid spacing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

caster

grid spacing

Post by caster » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 am

I am trying to switch back to metric grid spacing from imperial. Made the changes under both drawing preferences and application preferences and clicked apply and started a several new drawings. No change. It now seems the the imperial is now baked in. any suggestions as to what I should try. Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: grid spacing

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:24 am

Hi,

to understand the situation correctly: What is the goal of this exercise?
Will you draw all new drawings in Metric or will you switch an existing drawing from Imperial to Metric?

Note:
  • Switching the "Measurement System" will NOT change any Unit. It is only responsible for line types and hatch patterns.
  • Switching the Units below Drawing Preferences will basically only change the Unit Name in the actual drawing.
    e.g. a 5 inch line is then a 5 mm line.
  • Grid will adopt the Drawing Unit.
  • Predefined Units below Application Preferences will start every new Drawing with those settings.
If you need to convert an existing Drawing from e.g. Inch (Imperial) to mm (Metric) then you have to convert the Drawing with the "Convert Drawing Unit" tool which can be fond below Menu / Edit.

Keep us posted :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

caster

Post by caster » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 am

Husky
Thankyou for the reply. I am slow to acknowledge your kind reply. I have been away from the computer due to the holiday here.
When I started I had the idea to work in my native feet and inches. Hence, I changed all the settings in EDIT, Drawing Preferences and Application Preferences to feet and inches. This seems to be a bad idea as I am trying to follow the examples and exercises in the QAD book which are metric.
I have thus decided to go completely metric and changed all the settings back to metric.
This has had no effect on the grid which has stayed showing feet and inches. I have tried several times starting a new drawing after the changes to metric were made. I even tried shutting the computer down after the changes were made.
No help the grid remains showing feet and inches.

Can you give me any advice?
Thankyou
Caster

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 am

Hi Caster,

could you please post an example drawing what should have the new metric settings but launches still with imperial units.
Just launch a new QCAD drawing - save it and attach it to this post. Thanks.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

caster

Post by caster » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 am

GRID1.png
GRID1.png (161.11 KiB) Viewed 13452 times
Husky
Hope this works.
Caster

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:26 am

caster wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 am
Hope this works.
Nope - I need the dxf or dwg.

caster

Post by caster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 am

Husky
when I save a screenshot it saves as a png file.

The issue is - Despite with all the settings set to mm, the scale at the top and sides of the screen remain shown as ft and inches.

It would be helpful if it could be changed to metric when I am following
along with Andrew's book.

Thanks
caster
Attachments
grid2.dxf
(98.27 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
grid2.dxf
(98.27 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks for the drawing.
caster wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 am
The issue is - Despite with all the settings set to mm, the scale at the top and sides of the screen remain shown as ft and inches.
Yep - because your Dimension settings are not correct:
Please change this ...

Husky-2018.09.05-01.png
Husky-2018.09.05-01.png (36.91 KiB) Viewed 13416 times

... to this - maybe you have to select Decimal again before you are able to set the Precision correctly ...

Husky-2018.09.05-02.png
Husky-2018.09.05-02.png (37.34 KiB) Viewed 13416 times

Additional you should adjust the Page settings to Ansi A if your plan is to print to that size.

Husky-2018.09.05-03.png
Husky-2018.09.05-03.png (34.96 KiB) Viewed 13416 times
If this is working for you and you like to have those settings for every NEW drawing then you need to make this settings below Application Preferences. I assume you knew that already ... :wink:

Please keep us posted.

caster

Post by caster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:59 am

I have not done a good job of explaining the issue. Let me try again.

No problem making a drawing (so far!). All I want is for my screen to show the scale across the TOP of the drawing area in metric dimensions. And the scale across the LEFT SIDE of the drawing area in metric also.

I have changed all the drawing preferences to metric . However the scales along the top and sides of the drawing area DO NOT CHANGE to metric dimensions as they should BUT ALWAYS show feet and inches. This is unhelpful when making a metric drawing.

Let me emphasize! I have changed all the Drawing Preferences and Application Preferences to metric and this shows as ok . None the less, the scales remain showing feet and inches.

Thankyou
caster

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:35 am

caster wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:59 am
I have not done a good job of explaining the issue. Let me try again.
You have done a good job in explaining the issue. That is the reason why I was able to analyze the problem.

caster wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:59 am
I have changed all the drawing preferences to metric.
Sorry but no you haven't. As already stated the problem is based in the Dimension / Label Format / Precision settings which are still in Imperial (Foot / Inch).

Husky-2018.09.05-01.png
Husky-2018.09.05-01.png (38.13 KiB) Viewed 13349 times

That causes the Ruler to display Foot / Inch. If you don't change them as already mentioned to Decimal / 0.00 then there is no other way to solve your problem.

riverbuoy

Post by riverbuoy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 am

Hi Caster,

The answer is in 'Edit->Drawing Preferences->Dimension Settings'. You will see that the 'Dimension Label Font' box is empty. Select a font and click 'Apply', and the labels will change to metric.

Hope this helps

Regards

riverbuoy

makipsee
Newbie Member

Post by makipsee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm

riverbuoy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 am
Hi Caster,

The answer is in 'Edit->Drawing Preferences->Dimension Settings'. You will see that the 'Dimension Label Font' box is empty. Select a font and click 'Apply', and the labels will change to metric.

Hope this helps

Regards

riverbuoy
Hi,
I am currently using version 3.21.2.0 on windows 7. When i am opening up a previously made file all my fonts are set to Standard when they were set to Tahoma when i saved it before closing. Once i open the file if i go to 'Edit->Drawing Preferences->Dimension Settings' and change my 'text height' by one number and click 'apply' all my fonts will change to Tahoma, then i change it back to the original text height and then click 'ok'. I have been looking for a solution for this issue and when i can across this thread and i tried to follow your response but on my version i do not have section for 'Dimension Label Font'. If you have a different solution for this please let me know thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am

makipsee: Could it be that you are using the QCAD Community Edition (See Help > About QCAD)? If so, it does not have that option to change the dimension font.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”