text issue

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Relic

text issue

Post by Relic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:08 am

Hi,
I have created a drawing with a single text line and now QCAD crashes when I try to open the file. The problem here seems the text entity and not the drawing, I have created a bunch of new drawings with text only and apparently QCAD can't reopen them. Resetting the config file didn't work.
iMac, OS X 10.11.6, QCAD 3.21.2
crash example new.dxf
a simple drawing with a text entity that makes QCAD 3.21.2 crash
(110.93 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: text issue

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 am

Hi,

on Win10 I'm unable to crash QCAD with this file. What exactly triggers a crash?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 am

I cannot reproduce the crash on macOS 10.11.6, QCAD 3.21.2 either.

Are you opening the file through the recent files menu or File > Open? I'm asking because we've had a similar report about a crash when opening through recent files, perhaps related to Google Drive Backup and Sync running.

Relic

Post by Relic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:07 pm

The app crashes when opening the file both from the recent menu and from Finder.
If I start a new drawing, place a text entity and save it to disk I can successfully reopen it from recent list until I keep the session open. If I close the work session and reopen that file it will cause QCad crash. Another thing, older drawings open normally no matter how complex text entities they contain.

Thanks for the help

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks for the details.
Can you try to launch QCAD first, then use File > Open to open the file? I.e. not using Finder or the recent file menu.

Relic

Post by Relic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:36 pm

I tried opening the file from menu File/Open and the app crashed as I clicked on the "open" button in the selection window. Does QCAD have a debug mode?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 pm

No. But macOS should give you a full crash report. That might be helpful.
You can also try starting it from a Terminal (if you are comfortable doing that) and check for error messages.

Relic

Post by Relic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Indeed there is plenty of crash reports, would you care to take a look at the attached file?
Out of curiosity, I tried moving QCAD-Pro.app to the root of my secondary HDD *** and could run it with no crash at all. I moved the app back to the system Applications folder and it started crashing again, this is puzzling. ***

*** update: after a deeper test I recognized that QCAD 3.21.2 crashes even if run from another partition. At last, I tried with the older QCAD-Pro 3.15.5 and found that it can load all of the problematic files with no issues. This is something.

QCAD-Pro_2018-09-11-174826_Max-iMac.crash.zip
OS X crash report
(19.1 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm

OK, thanks for the details. Unfortunately, because this is not reproducible here and the crash seems to occur in Teigha (a 3rd part library QCAD uses to read/write DXF/DWG), there's little hope for a cure. QCAD 3.15.5 would have used an older version of Teigha.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 pm

@Relic

I would check the file with the actual (3.21.2) QCAD Trial Version to see how it behaves. Use a separate directory for that test installation. A free trial can be found below: https://www.qcad.org/de/qcad-downloads-trial
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Relic

Post by Relic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 pm
I would check the file with the actual (3.21.2) QCAD Trial Version to see how it behaves. [...]
Tried this method but no luck. On the other hand, I was successful running QCad Pro 3.21.2 on Win XP (32-bit): no crash at all, though the hardware is too old to be suitable for work purposes.

andrew wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm
OK, thanks for the details. Unfortunately, because this is not reproducible here and the crash seems to occur in Teigha (a 3rd part library QCAD uses to read/write DXF/DWG), there's little hope for a cure. QCAD 3.15.5 would have used an older version of Teigha.
There must be some parameters in text entity I created that make Teigha go mad, I will continue the troubleshooting in my spare time.

Thank you all.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”