Feet and Inches in the Property Editor

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BobRockefeller

Feet and Inches in the Property Editor

Post by BobRockefeller » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:24 am

QCAD v3.24.2 on macOS 10.15.3

I have my drawing set up in inches and dimensions set up for Architectural (3' - 4"). But I cannot figure out how to get the dimensions displayed in the Property Editor to show anything other than decimal inches.

What setting have I missed?
Bob
---
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA, USA

RandallG

Re: Feet and Inches in the Property Editor

Post by RandallG » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:04 am

Click top menu "Edit", then Drawing Preferences, then see second choice down the list called "Dimension Settings"

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:43 am

BobRockefeller wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:24 am
What setting have I missed?
I think that is not intended behavior. I compared the Property Editor display with the dim setting "Fractional" which works just fine ...

Please file a bugreport below: https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am

Currently, the property editor only supports decimal and fractional display of values.

The problem with the architectural notation is the ambiguity of the hyphen (-). QCAD supports mathematical expressions in all its input fields where values are expected. 3' - 4" could mean 3' and 4" or 3' minus 4".

One way to work around this could be to display (and input) values in the property editor as 3'4" instead. Or for example 4'10 1/4". We could use some input from users of this unit system to decide a way forward.

BobRockefeller

Post by BobRockefeller » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am
Currently, the property editor only supports decimal and fractional display of values.

The problem with the architectural notation is the ambiguity of the hyphen (-). QCAD supports mathematical expressions in all its input fields where values are expected. 3' - 4" could mean 3' and 4" or 3' minus 4".

One way to work around this could be to display (and input) values in the property editor as 3'4" instead. Or for example 4'10 1/4". We could use some input from users of this unit system to decide a way forward.
Would a double-space between the feet and inches values work for others? So we might have 1' 3 ½".

For extra credit, if the user entered a double space, the display could read 1' – 3 ½"; single spaces but using the En Dash character.
Bob
---
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA, USA

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am
I think 3'4" or 4'10 1/4" is unambiguously to read. An input in this style would be easy too. Would work for me just fine!
BobRockefeller wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm
Would a double-space between the feet and inches values work for others? So we might have 1' 3 ½".
For extra credit, if the user entered a double space, the display could read 1' – 3 ½"; single spaces but using the En Dash character.
I see why you are suggesting this style but I think that isn't practical. Uncommon input styles will lead to mistakes and unexpected results.
No space or one space is something what you can figure out by yourself - without knowing it you will find the double-space solution only by accident ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

BobRockefeller

Post by BobRockefeller » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:52 am

Husky wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 pm

No space or one space is something what you can figure out by yourself - without knowing it you will find the double-space solution only by accident ...
I''d be happy with one space, then.
Bob
---
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA, USA

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am

This has been implemented to the next (snapshot) release.

BobRockefeller

Post by BobRockefeller » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:30 pm

andrew wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am
This has been implemented to the next (snapshot) release.
Nice! I'm off to hunt the snapshot release download page.
Bob
---
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA, USA

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”