Drawing slow and Qcad crashing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

RaNoPlus

Drawing slow and Qcad crashing

Post by RaNoPlus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am

Hi, I have a question. My cad runs VERY slow. It takes ages to select the viewport (VT) for example. I work on: MacBook Pro16,1, 6-Core Intel Core i7 2,6 GHz, 6 core, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4.
I edited the drawing (and saved it as v3). This one is 3,1 MB so not shocking. But still, it doesn't work smoothly. Attached drawing is VERY slow and crashes. Can you tell me what's wrong please? Thank you.
Attachments
Crash report Qcad 28-09-2022.docx
(819.66 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
2021021-01 Branddeuren-v3.dwg
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 232 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Drawing slow and Qcad crashing

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:49 am

Can you try exploding the huge block at the top?

Generally, I can confirm that QCAD was not designed for drawings of such complexity (note that file size is generally no indication of complexity).

I'm happy to offer you a full refund if you need to work with such drawings since in this case, QCAD is not suitable. Just let me know.

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi Andrew,

When I explode the block, the drawing gets 149MB big. Funny thing is. I used to work with Qcad with MUCH bigger drawings (big data center approx 2 years ago) and it worked well. So I was just wondering if there is anything wrong with the newest version. I also use Bricscad BIM but that one is also very unstable on my mac. So I went back to Qcad- just to try how it works in Qcad with this drawing.

Regarding refund. I really need to work with these drawings. To be honest. This one is not really complex. Just a floor plan with some details. But there is something making it slower. I will adjust the drawing again and hope it will work.
But you also have to get paid for your work so keep the money ;-)

Regards Radek

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi,

In 'Bestaande situatie' zijn er 23372 duplicaten, dat zullen er in heel de tekening wel wat meer zijn. :wink:
2.98 >>> 149MB: Het verschil zal ondermeer ook DWG vs DXF zijn.
DWG is een binair formaat, DXF een tekstueel.

In 'Bestaande situatie' there are 23372 duplicates, there will be a few more in the whole drawing.
2.98 >>> 149MB: The difference will also be DWG vs DXF.
DWG is a binary format, DXF a textual format.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi Radek,
RaNoPlus wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am
This one is 3,1 MB so not shocking. But still, it doesn't work smoothly. Attached drawing is VERY slow and crashes. Can you tell me what's wrong please?
to make a drawing like your example drawing more workable in QCAD I would do the following steps:

1. The drawing contains 3D information - flatten it to 2D below Menu/Misc/Modify/Flatten Drawing to 2D
2. The drawing has invalid block names - fix that with Menu/Misc/Block/Fix Block names
3. The drawing has around 50.000 duplicates - check the massive blocks and get rid of them with Menu/Modify/Detection/Detect duplicates
4. The drawing has a few hatches - put them on one layer and turn them invisible as long as you don't neat them
5. The drawing has massive blocks - if possible explode them
6. Additional - you may like to think about a better zoom in/out strategy which eliminates the unnecessary "in between rendering" of a drawing.

unnecessary in between rendering.gif
unnecessary in between rendering.gif (4.99 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
The best QCAD tool for that would be the "View List". That approach would eliminate all "in between renderings" what is an unbelievable speed up of a drawing handling.

using a View list - recording in real time.gif
using a View list - recording in real time.gif (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
You can set a view list below Menu/View

I used those steps on your drawing. It is now 2.4 MB in size and I think faster than ever. It is now a clean 2D drawing - I guess the crashes are now snow from yesterday. Please check it by yourself ...

2021021-01 Branddeuren-v3_mod.dwg
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay and many thanks for your replies. I thought it was something with the large block. Really good te see this forum works so well. I'll save this post and will use it next time with large drawings.
Regards Radek

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”