Installing on Linux

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

omng945
Registered Member

Installing on Linux

Post by omng945 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

I currently have the trial version installed, came that way. I upgraded to Pro, downloaded on a flash drive but cannot get this thing to install. I’m using Linux 32 bit, i686. I click on properties and it will not let me change the permissions. Says cannot set permissions on symlinks. I need help!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Installing on Linux

Post by andrew » Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Please follow our very detailed step by step instructions at:
http://www.qcad.org/en/component/conten ... tion-linux

If the problem persists, please indicate in which step and post screenshots, exact error messages, etc.

omng945
Registered Member

Post by omng945 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I figured it out, I had to put the files in a specific folder (Downloads) on the computer.

asussupport

Post by asussupport » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 am

I’m trying to install qCad on my Linux laptop, a Librem 13 running PureOS (a Debian derivative).

First I tried using the system default “Software” GUI application to install qCad. The installer ran successfully but when I tried to launch pcbnew, KiCad crashed and my internet is also not working on my Linux actually I'm working on browser on that time i open my email but when i open my email i receive some spam mail that hangup my computer on that point of that my internet is not working i believe that its because of the mail my qcad crashed

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 am

If I correctly interpret what you're saying (with almost no punctuation it's a little difficult to figure out :| ), you've installed QCAD with your distro's GUI package manager. Then you mention trying to run PcbNew and KiCad, which are apparently specialized CAD apps designed for PC board design, but they crash.

Have you tried to launch QCAD (only) without anything else running? No browser, no PcbNew/KiCad, no email? Does it crash then?

Personally, I use the QCAD archive file (*.tar.gz) instead of the installer. IMO it's simpler, but I'm comfortable on a Linux command line. I've spent very little time with GNOME 3 (not a fan, actually), so I'm not familiar with the current software / package GUI, but sometimes getting under the skin makes things a bit clearer and ultimately easier.
Len
----------------------------------------
QCAD Pro on Xubuntu Linux (usually)

asussupport

Post by asussupport » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:20 am

opps sry its jus slip of my hand i run only qcad not kicad its just my mistake well my qcad crashed and my internet is not working like its very slow and im a trougle to log in my email should i have to contact any tech support ??

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

We can't help with your internet nor email issues. We'll need more information to try to help with the QCAD problema. Are there are error messages? Do you see the splash screen at all?
Len
----------------------------------------
QCAD Pro on Xubuntu Linux (usually)

asussupport

Post by asussupport » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:30 am

well yesterday i contact to (Spam removed by admin) and I explain them to my situation then they told me that because of your qcad your internet is not working. your internet is fine no problem in your mail or a browser the problem is in my qcad . actually right now I have been unable to get the QCAD Text tool to work. I can add the text I want in the Text add box, but no FONTs are listed, so no text is entered in my drawings.
The preferences list Helvetica and Arial. Also, in /usr/share/qcad/fonts 20 different fonts are listed.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 am

asussupport turned out to be just a spammer.. content was copied from another forum.

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”