Install on a chrome book

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

Springer
Registered Member

Install on a chrome book

Post by Springer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 am

I have been using a purchased copy of qcad for quite a number of years on Linux. Being a Linux user, not techie, I was so impressed with how good the software was I purchased a copy, not something I was used to doing being a Linux fan.
However things move on and I now have a Chomebook but can find no documentation anywhere on installing qcad, some simple instruction would be very appreciated.
I have Linux activated and have installed some flatpaks, but a Qcad install has left be baffled, not being a Linux techie even after 15 years, more a user me. I will be very pleased with this purchase once I have qcad running.
With Thanks
Springer

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Install on a chrome book

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:25 am

I'm afraid that this will likely not work, at least not with QCAD Professional. There might be a QCAD Community Edition port available somewhere for Chromebooks.

Note that some Chromebooks use ARM processors. We haven't ported QCAD to that platform and the OpenDesign libraries (used for DXF/DWG support) don't exist for Linux on ARM processors at this point.

You could also try and install / compile Qt and the QCAD CE on your Chromebook but given your statement that you are not a "techie" that might not be a realistic option to pursue...

Springer
Registered Member

Post by Springer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Are you saying that there is a chance of an install from a tar package?
With Thanks
S

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:01 pm

There's probably a small chance if it's an Intel-based Chromebook.

For ARM processors, you'd have to install Qt and compile the QCAD sources if that is at all an option for you.

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”