Questions about upgrades

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

simpsonrr

Questions about upgrades

Post by simpsonrr » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:28 pm

I have Qcad Pro 3.25.2 that I got over a year ago. I am a casual user and don't use Qcad frequently. I am semi-retired and use it for some work and personal simple drawings, an ocasional P&ID or simple part drawing, or for house upgrades. I saw the newest version is up to 3.27.1. Is there anything in the new version that a casual user would notice? Would it be worthwhile upgrading or are the updates for more of a power user advantage that I probably wouldn't notice? I don't like when some software programs change the whole format (AutoCad has done that in the past) sometimes and makes the user have to re-learn the program (I don't like change). But if updates don't change the format of the existing parts but adds new functionality to improve the program to make it simpler and more useful, I'm all for doing the update.
Thanks for any input.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Questions about upgrades

Post by CVH » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:40 pm

simpsonrr,

Besides some new additions, updates also include fixes for encoutered issues.
That said, if you don't encountered issues so far, then QCAD is fully functional for you. :wink:

No one is forced to renew its QCAD Pro licence.
That is individual and for life and includes 1 year of updates.
https://qcad.org/en/documentation/license

Then again, it doesn't 'hurt' that much to renew your licence.
You should have recieved a discount code after one year.
Including VAT it would cost you only 27,95 EUR.
Or less than 8 EURO cent per day. 8)

Regards,
CVH

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:36 pm

For a detailed list of changes since your version, please refer to the changelog at:
https://qcad.org/en/documentation/changelog

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:18 am

I would definitely check out the change log that Andrew posted to see if there is any new feature or bug fix that stands out as something useful for you. If you do decide to upgrade, rest assured the UI is the same and I highly doubt there will ever be a time where the QCAD UI changes so much that you'd have to relearn the interface or commands. It will just be the addition here and there of a new tool or option but everything you are already used to probably won't change much if at all. In my experience a lot of thought goes into each feature and how things are organized so unless Andrew is secretly working on a cloud-based version 4 that uses a Ribbon UI *total sarcasm :lol: I wouldn't worry about any new learning curve. I will say that the cost to upgrade is really fair but you could very well be fine forever on your current version.

simpsonrr

Post by simpsonrr » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:35 pm

Thank you all for your responses. Since my memory isn't that great, I forgot about all of the details when I bought Qcad Pro. Turns out I found the 1st email and have about a week left on my 1 year license. After reviewing the changes from Andrew's link and reading other comments, I decided to upgrade while I can. I wasn't planning on renewing my license, so I thought I get the latest version. I've installed and looked at the new version, can't tell the difference yet. I still get messed up on nomenclature differences compared to AutoCad, so I end up spending a lot of time finding commands that I know are there someplace. I'm sure if I was a regular user, I would learn the differences and retain them, but when you don't touch something for months, it never gets engrained in your head, at least when your memory's not that great.
Anyway, I know where to come of I have future questions.

Regards,
RRS

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”