Installing QCAD on Mint or a Pi not successful.

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

JAQ
Newbie Member

Installing QCAD on Mint or a Pi not successful.

Post by JAQ » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:39 am

Hi

Installed QCad on my Windows PC, looks like just what I want, as I was having issues with LibraCad. So I went to install it on my CNC machines, one a Raspberry Pi 4 controller and the other a fresh install of Mint 20.3.

Both installed OK, QCad 3.27.6, 32bit for the Pi, 64 for the Mint. It created the opt/etc folders and copied the files in there. The qcad file has all the right permissions, and I ended up with icons on both desktops.

Clicking icon did nothing. Running qcad from the new folder gave a "qcad not a recognised command" error. When I looked in the services viewer, I could see qcad-bin and qcad were running processes. But nothing was happening, on both machines.

What am I doing wrong?

Glenn

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Installing QCAD on Mint or a Pi not successful.

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:30 am

Can you please indicate which package you have installed and from where? We do not have packages for Raspberry Pi, so presumably you are using 3rd party packages of the community edition?

JAQ
Newbie Member

Post by JAQ » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:01 am

The packages were downloaded from the qcad site. I'm guessing it wont work on a raspberry Pi, so will concentrate on getting it to work on the Mint pc.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:08 am

Raspberry Pi (or generally Linux on arm) is not supported for QCAD Professional as Opendesign does not provide binaries for that platform.

For the Mint on PC, please try also the other QCAD packages:
QCAD Professional 3.27.6 for Linux Legacy Qt4 64bit (Installer) (for older platforms)
QCAD Professional 3.27.6 for Linux Qt 5.14 64bit (Installer) (for new platforms and Wayland)

You might also want to check for missing libraries:

Code: Select all

cd ~/opt/qcad*
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./qcad-bin

JAQ
Newbie Member

Post by JAQ » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:14 am

That worked :) Qt4

Thanks.

Its a shame there isn't a port for the Pi, as a CNC GCode sender and dxf editor in a dusty environment, its a good option. Just saying :)

Glenn

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”