Layers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

peteboyer
Registered Member

Layers

Post by peteboyer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 pm

I have Qcad Professional and I would like to know how to change the attributes of layers so that every new drawing will start with the new named layers. I would like to start some layers called “Construction”, “Dimension”, “Object” and have all of these layers show up every time I start a new drawing in Qcad. Please help me.

msglover
Registered Member

Post by msglover » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I haven't been using QCAD very long, so there may be a way to do it, but I haven't seen it.

The only thing I can think of is to start a new document and configure it the way you want. Once you have it configured, save it as a template file. Use the template when you first open QCAD to work on a new document. Just remember to "save as" some other name before you make any changes to the template.

-matt

J-J

auto layers

Post by J-J » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 pm

I cobbled up a work around using a script that creates a set of layers. I do have to press an icon in the toolbar to launch the process. However I have not found how to define the line type! But it's fast.
JJ Win7 pro-64

uwezi
Newbie Member

found it...

Post by uwezi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm

I felt the same need and actually I don't understand why the user interface of QCad doesn't have a convenient way to define such start-up settings...

According to the documentation it should be possible to put these definitions into a script named autostart.qs which is executed when the program starts.

However, the documentation of the scripting function is neither very convenient nor complete...

Running Windows it was absolutely unclear where to put the autoexec.qs script. Again, according to the documentation, putting it into the scripts subdirectory of the QCad installation should be sufficient - well it was not.

Also all different locations where Windows (7) keeps user related data didn't work. Finally I found my personal settings file qcad.ini under .../AppData/Roaming/RibbonSoft.

So I thought that placing autostart.qs into this directory could do the trick - well it didn't...

Then I had a look into this configuration file only to see that the entry for the scripting directory (among others) was empty. I set it to the path of the scripts directory of my QCad installation and now I have a working start-up script.

Code: Select all

[Paths]
Translations=
Patterns=
Fonts=
Scripts=C:/Program Files/QCAD Professional/scripts
Library=
Save=
Now I only miss the possibility to not only set color and line width but also the style of the layers I define in my autostart.qs script as advertised in the documentation:
Pen - Wrapper around pen attributes (color, line type, line width).
Uwe.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”