enquiry how to measure X and Y coordinate. for object

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

sonic88
Registered Member

enquiry how to measure X and Y coordinate. for object

Post by sonic88 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 am

Hi all,
Need help on Qcad,
I have a file format DxF, which may draw by Autocad software or anysoftware.
now the problem is i'm new with Qcad, how to using Qcad to check a dimension / coordinate of the object, which draw using the other types of software such as autocad etc..
just for confirmation, it is any ways to check it out with qcad, and make sure when it open with Qcad still can get the original size of X,Y coordinate or the dimension, when the object is draw using by the other software.

Thanks .
your's help is much appreciated.
regards,
sonic

Clive

Re: enquiry how to measure X and Y coordinate. for object

Post by Clive » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 pm

sonic88 wrote:Hi all,
Need help on Qcad,
now the problem is i'm new with Qcad, how to using Qcad to check a dimension / coordinate of the object, which draw using the other types of software such as autocad etc..
just for confirmation, it is any ways to check it out with qcad, and make sure when it open with Qcad still can get the original size of X,Y coordinate or the dimension, when the object is draw using by the other software.

Thanks .
regards,
sonic
Hi sonic and welcome

Presuming you have Drawn at scale 1:1 in the "other" software and saved as dxf.file and have successfully opened up in Qcad 2.2.

In QCAD

1.set the same dimension unit you need > Edit > Application Preferences > Default > Unit - Millimeter, Inch ..etc..
2.Open up your DXF file and > Menu >View > Tool bars and "check" property Editor -to view it (this should "dock" it in window).
3. Select an entity (object) e.g line in your drawing using the selection tools, from "left -hand" main tools or just click on it!
4.The selected entity parameters/co- ordinates should show up in the property editor.

*Note the co-ordinates shown in the property editor will be for your DXF file in QCAD!

5.To check a Dimension size of an entity use the "show measuring tools" > distance from point to point -tool.Simply follow the prompts in the command line, specify first point of distance then specify second point of distance. This should do the trick and your dimension for a line for example will be shown.

Hope this helps

sonic88
Registered Member

Re: enquiry how to measure X and Y coordinate. for object

Post by sonic88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 am

clive wrote:
sonic88 wrote:Hi all,
Need help on Qcad,

Thanks .
regards,
sonic
Hi sonic and welcome

Presuming you have Drawn at scale 1:1 in the "other" software and saved as dxf.file and have successfully opened up in Qcad 2.2.

In QCAD

1.set the same dimension unit you need > Edit > Application Preferences > Default > Unit - Millimeter, Inch ..etc..
2.Open up your DXF file and > Menu >View > Tool bars and "check" property Editor -to view it (this should "dock" it in window).
3. Select an entity (object) e.g line in your drawing using the selection tools, from "left -hand" main tools or just click on it!
4.The selected entity parameters/co- ordinates should show up in the property editor.

*Note the co-ordinates shown in the property editor will be for your DXF file in QCAD!

5.To check a Dimension size of an entity use the "show measuring tools" > distance from point to point -tool.Simply follow the prompts in the command line, specify first point of distance then specify second point of distance. This should do the trick and your dimension for a line for example will be shown.

Hope this helps
Dear sir, very sorry,
just notice that, i'm using ubuntu linux version 2.0.50 free-1-edition
step 1 done
step 2 Open up your DXF file and > Menu >View > Tool bars and "check" property Editor -to view it (this should "dock" it in window)
(i'm having problem to get the "property edition" due to this version only can see file edit,view,pen,tool option , line up
step 3 select an entity (object) , i choose select all button from left hand-side menu than i move my pointer to point on my entity, X,Y and left click once, and the X,Y line appear , however if i double click again it will disapper.

is this the way to check it out ? am i right.

and the below is the screenshot
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/entitym.png

Thank you for your help.. i much appreciated =)

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi sonic88

I dont use the free -community edition I find for the small purcahse price the pro versions offer me much more features and polyline support etc...

see here for some FAQs (particularly no:35 -What's the difference between the free QCAD Community Edition and QCAD Professional?)

If your interested you can download the trial of the pro versions to "check it out" Here:

http://www.qcad.org/qcad_downloads.html

However I do understand this may not be affordable or even needed for some users!

I will need to check out your query some more in the Community (free) edition later on.

In the meantime:

1.Under view is there an option to view a property editor or not.

2.If you want to just select a single entity you should be able to just click on it to highlight it. From here as I say in the Pro versions the properties,coordinates etc will show up in the property editor.
3.Is there a measuring tool in the free version?

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

sonic88

If you use the line tool for example and follow the prompts, it will ask you for your first point. if you select any point on your drawing the coordinates for this point will be shown in the "lower left" hand side of the window.

You will see the "Absolute coordinates" and the "Relative Coordinates" there.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”