Illustrator files to DXF

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

tacbob
Registered Member

Illustrator files to DXF

Post by tacbob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:01 pm

I have prepared artwork in Adobe Illustrator to be laser cut onto paper. The lasercutter requires DXF files which are opened in QCAD. Unfortunately, the conversion process from Illustrator to DXF has caused corners on the artwork to become rounded. Does anyone know of a process (Illustrator to .dwg or .dxf) that will stop this happening?

Thanks

Clive

Re: Illustrator files to DXF

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi tacbob and welcome

I`ve just tested this with a simple square cornered shape using Illustrator (CS4) exporting to DXF (latest version 2006 ) opening up in QCAD 3 (RC5) no problems.

What version of Illustrator are you using?

you may need to export to an earlier version of dxf file?

Or - you could try to open you file in QCAD 3 rc5 -but bear in mind this is a release candidate and is still being tested out here by users!

tacbob
Registered Member

Re: Illustrator files to DXF

Post by tacbob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for your help.

I am using Illustrator CS3. In the Export options I backsave to 2000/LT2000 and I did not tick "Preserve Appearance" but ticked "Outline Text" and "Maximum Editability". This produced the DXF that opened up in QCAD 2 with rounded edges.
I have just exported a file with "Preserve Appearance" checked and unticking "Maximum Editability" and sent it to the person that will do the lasercutting, hoping that when he opens it in QCAD2, it will look fine.

Thanks.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”