Printer setup (Solaris/CUPS)

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Printer setup (Solaris/CUPS)

Post by dhlocker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm running QCad 2.1.3.2 on a Solaris 10/x86 machine. My printing is through CUPS with lpr/lpd. How do I specify the printer to use to QCad? I'd edit the qcad.ini file, but I don't know the semantics.

When I select File->Print there is no printer listed. I could export to pdf, but I'd prefer to print directly.

I also tried PDF Export to the file "| lp -d EpsonC82" but that just gives me a file named exactly that.

TIA,
Donald.

centec2b

Re: Printer setup (Solaris/CUPS)

Post by centec2b » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:52 pm

dhlocker wrote:When I select File->Print there is no printer listed. I could export to pdf, but I'd prefer to print directly.
Donald

Did you ever resolve this problem? I have exactly the same issue - I have a gut feel it might be the way I have set up my printers which are on windows machines which I access through Cups but...

Thank you

centec2b

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Post by dhlocker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 am

Hello, Centec2b.

I haven't resolved this issue. I just tried once more (because I can't remember the last time I tried) and with no printer specified (I thought maybe it would use the system default printer,) QCad crashed. I am still unable to choose a printer - the drop-down list of printers is blank.

Donald.
dhlocker wrote:
When I select File->Print there is no printer listed. I could export to pdf, but I'd prefer to print directly.

Donald
Did you ever resolve this problem? I have exactly the same issue - I have a gut feel it might be the way I have set up my printers which are on windows machines which I access through Cups but...

Thank you

centec2b

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Post by dhlocker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:12 am

OK, I gave it another try. Starting from the command line (LD_LIBRARY_PATH differs) the print job is sent to my default printer (no crash this time) but the output was only one full scale corner of the drawing (an A0 size) instead of the full drawing "fit to page" on a US Letter page. Still not anything like a success, in my book.

Donald
Hello, Centec2b.

I haven't resolved this issue. I just tried once more (because I can't remember the last time I tried) and with no printer specified (I thought maybe it would use the system default printer,) QCad crashed. I am still unable to choose a printer - the drop-down list of printers is blank.

Donald.
dhlocker wrote:

Donald

Thank you

centec2b

Chrisjimive
Registered Member

Printer setup Solaris/CUPS

Post by Chrisjimive » Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm

the docs said that my printer, and HP officejet4110 IS supported.

i tried to configure cups, but how do i select the port? theres no /dev/usblp0 ya see.

halms/

lathanial

Post by lathanial » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm using ubuntu 8.04 and had a similar problem - the printer not showing up in the dropdown list, only a PDF option. The problem was QCad looking in the /etc folder for printcap. The solution was to link /var/run/cups/printcap to /etc/printcap. I'm not familiar with solaris so this may or may not be of any use to you if you are still having trouble.

lathanial

banzai
Newbie Member

Re: Printer setup (Solaris/CUPS)

Post by banzai » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:07 am

For those who don't use a console all the time.. Like me.
The command would look something like this.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /var/run/cups/printcap /etc/printcap
I had this problem and this did the trick..

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”