[solved] Dimension labels on "Central"

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

wynnjones

[solved] Dimension labels on "Central"

Post by wynnjones » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:57 pm

I am running QCAD Professional with Windows 10. I have a dwg which has some dimension labels positioned on "Central" and others positioned on "Above". I prefer "Central", but when I highlight those on "above" and open their Property Editors and select "Central", the system appears to ignore this request. Also, if I clear the "Text above line" box in Dimension Preferences, no change happens. Also, if I select the whole dwg and clear "Text above line" again no change. Can you help me please? Happy days; Tim.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Dimension labels on "Central"

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:38 am

Hi wynnjones,

try "Remove Style Overwrites", "Reset Label Position"
How: Select all dimensions (Selection Filter), and launch below Menu/Dimension those tools in that order. All dimension should then use the settings below Drawing Preferences / Dimension.

If that doesn't solves the issue please indicate your QCAD version and attache the drawing or parts of the drawing (new drawing, copy/paste) which shows the same issue to your post. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:45 am

wynnjones wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:57 pm
Also, if I clear the "Text above line" box in Dimension Preferences, no change happens. Also, if I select the whole dwg and clear "Text above line" again no change.
Note that the Application Preferences are for new drawings.
When changed in the Drawing Preferences this would only work on dimension entities without style overrides.
And it is not related to a selection.
The drawing preferences for dimensions are further used for new dimension entities.
wynnjones wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:57 pm
I prefer "Central", but when I highlight those on "above" and open their Property Editors and select "Central", the system appears to ignore this request.
Odd because this is how a dimension style is overridden for the selected dimension(s).

But I can replicate your issue when the 'Text horizontal' is overridden to 'Yes'.
If this is the case then set it to 'No'.

I can further replicate this with a centered text label by moving it, again the styles vertical positioning has no effect.
In that case reset the label position (DS) of the dimension in question.

As last I would try to remove the style overrides (DX) of the dimensions you want to alter.

The danger in selecting all dimensions and removing the style overrides (DX) is that you remove all style overrides of all kinds of dimensions.
In essence that is everything that is listed under 'Style' in the Property Editor.
Same goes for resetting label positions of all kinds of dimensions.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:23 am

https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 406#p39404
wynnjones wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:33 am
Thank you very much Huskey. the regen function was easy to use - labels on Centre is just a little fad of mine! Happy days, Tim
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Tips and Tutorials”