Newbie from New Hampshire

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

oldhacker
Registered Member

Newbie from New Hampshire

Post by oldhacker » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:44 pm

I spent many years in electronic CAD and am now venturing into a bit of network layout/architecture. I am using QCAD to simplify cable installation for the 40Gb Ethernet arena. To simplify the install and hit the speed goals, I am using QCAD to lay out the cable routes and get accurate readings of the actual cable lengths.

With this data, I can purchase pre-fab copper cables that will be machine made and teminated assuring their length and eletrical properties.

Here is the problem: I have drawings of the as-built premises that are accurate to 1/8th inch. But when I load them into QCAD, I cannot find a way to to set the QCAD scale to display an image that I can measure with QCAD tools to return a measurement that's within 20% of the value given on the printed drawing.

As an example, a doorway is drawn to 32 inches width on paper an confirmed by measurement to be 31 15/16" by measurment.

The closest I can get QCAD to report is 34 1/8 in.!

I'm entirely willing to admite my ignorance if there's some step I'm overlooking or something. I'm at my wits end and about ready to "scale" the wole drawing by (34 1/8)/(31 15/16)! Before I do, I thought it wise to ask if there's a better way?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Newbie from New Hampshire

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 pm

Hi oldhacker - thanks for introducing yourself to the Qcad community and welcome!

We are happy to help you with your question but may I ask you to post it again (copy/paste?) below "How do I Question" https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=32

Include as much details, screenshots, dxf,dwg drawings to describe the issue what will help us to find fast a solution. Thank you.

In a nutshell: Your drawing has to stay 1:1 (don't scale it). What needs to be scaled is the image :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Introduce Yourself”