New user of the Forum

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

dmottram1956
Registered Member

New user of the Forum

Post by dmottram1956 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:01 am

I have been using various versions of CAD since 1989, including TURBOCAD, AUTOCAD and now QCAD for the past twelve months.
I am running QCAD version 3.12.8 with version 1511 of Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop with 500gb HD and 4gb RAM.

Since upgrading to this new version of QCAD and removing the old version, I am not able to open any drawings and the QCAD logo has disappeared from all the icons in my files.

It looks like a configuration problem, but I would appreciate some advice as to what to do to recover the situation.
Many thanks,
D. Mottram.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: New user of the Forum

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 am

You might have to reinstall the latest QCAD version. This situation can occur if you install a newer version of QCAD and later uninstall the previous version using the uninstaller. The uninstaller might remove the registry entries linking your files to QCAD.

Alternatively, you can check the registry entries manually using regedit.exe:

- Launch regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DXFFile\DefaultIcon (or HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DWGFile\DefaultIcon for DWG files).
- You should find the path to qcad.exe there, followed by ",0".
- Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dxf there should be the value "DXFFile" and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dwg the value "DWGFile".
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 15.53.43.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 15.53.43.png (82.79 KiB) Viewed 5448 times

Return to “Introduce Yourself”