Slackware 13 installation issues: no such file or directory

Post your question about installing or upgrading to QCAD 2.1/2.2. Be sure to search, and check the docs before you post!

Moderator: andrew

superslacker
Registered Member

Slackware 13 installation issues: no such file or directory

Post by superslacker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:41 am

ok... so this should be stupid easy, but for some reason it's not going to plan.

i've got the package untarred and unzipped into the /opt/qcad directory... when i try to invoke the program from said directory by typing "qcad" i get a "No such file or directory" error message. a simple "ls" will show the file like it should be there. indeed, "file" shows it as a dynamically linked 32-bit ELF executable.

however, even typing the full path to the program produces the same no file error. if i try to invoke it in the background with an ampersand (&) i get an exit 127 upon typing "jobs". i'm not sure if that's qcad's exit status or something from jobs (no man page or info about jobs on my system).

ideally i'd like to use the (KDE) menu editor and just add an iconic link to the program... regardless, anybody have any ideas why even the full path isn't working here? i'm just not getting it...

thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Slackware 13 installation issues: no such file or direct

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:12 am

superslacker wrote:"No such file or directory"
This is indeed one of the least helpful error messages Linux has to offer. What it most likely means in this case is that you are trying to run a 32bit application on a 64bit system without the necessary compatibility libraries installed. You will have to install a package named "ia32-libs" or similar in order to run QCAD on your system.

superslacker
Registered Member

Slackware 13 32 compatiblity issues...

Post by superslacker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:32 pm

good call andrew! although the fix seems a little more involved than just adding the ia32-libs package.

i had assumed for some reason that slackware 13 wasn't a pure 64-bit system and thus had libraries installed to run any 32-bit programs it shipped with. wrong, a bad assumption. there are in fact two releases, one a 32-bit version and the other a 64-bit.

so... for anyone else who might run into this issue. follow the link below for instructions on how to resolve the problem. i've yet to try myself, but will post back and let everyone know how it went.

http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/dok ... e:multilib

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Installation and Upgrades”