2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Post your question about installing or upgrading to QCAD 2.1/2.2. Be sure to search, and check the docs before you post!

Moderator: andrew

bobfey

2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Post by bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 am

A week ago I had a virus attack and when the shop got done and reinstalled Win7 I discovered that most of my files were gone and most of my applications too. A total disaster. So now I am trying to install my Qcad 2.2 version. I have the disc in the tray, I follow the steps in the book on pages 22, 23. But nothing happens. I know that a lot is happening to the disc as i can feel the vibrations through the case. But I get no installation icons and no installation happens.

Any help for this question? I would like to get this application reinstalled. I don't know where my files went but I know I can recreate some important ones myself.

Clive

Re: 2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 am

Hi bobfey
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your laptop - does the disc drive work at all now? maybe try out a music CD or a another DVD first to establish whether its working or not . It could be that you need to install additional drivers, if so if it was me I would take it back to the shop, they may need to download them from your laptops manufacturers website - any-ways they should know what to do.

When you do get it sorted you could install QCAD 3 and run it side by side and check it out.
[Edit: Of course you could download QCAD version 2 or 3 direct from the QCAD website - http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial]

bobfey

Post by bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have been slowly rebuilding my laptop as I also am getting my old PC laptop backups restored. But some things are just not coming back to the old laptop or the new laptop. I have all the Qcad files and library now available on the old laptop. I am sure I could copy that to the new laptop. But in neither can I get Qcad 2.2 to revive or install.

I guess the item missing might just be an installer. How would I get something like that. I am happy with Qcad 2 for the time being and really don't want to buy Qcad 3 right now either. So I am rather stuck if I don't have something to make my Qcad 2 CD install to either my older laptop with XP or my newer laptop with Win7. I would prefer with Win7.

Can do?

EDIT TO UPDATE: I went to the download page and found what I hope is the solution. It was an installer. I hope it installed a full time Qcad and not a temporary one. I was able to install, figured out a file problem, may have been telling me that all day yesterday too. So I finally got the Qcad to install, maybe with the installer I down loaded or the one on the CD. Either way I am installed, have moved my images from the old laptop to the new laptop. I guess my old laptop was older as I don't think I have all of them now. But not that difficult to replaced. I will look some more on my prior back up disc. May still be there.

So if this install stays good, I thank those that read and responded. Maybe it was your wishful thinking that helped me get going.
Last edited by bobfey on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Presumably you purchased QCAD 2 in 2010, can you not login and download it again from your Personal Download Site -see here:
http://www.qcad.org/en/customer-area
Just download it again and save it to a new disc.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Oh - I`ve just read this on that page -'Your personal download site stays open for one year but may be extended under some circumstances'.
- contact Andrew, I`m sure he will do something here!

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm

bobfey wrote: EDIT TO UPDATE: I went to the download page and found what I hope is the solution. It was an installer. I hope it installed a full time Qcad and not a temporary one.
If you have downloaded it from your 'Personal Download site' it should be a 'full' Pro version, otherwise if you download it from the the 'QCAD Downloads & Trial' page - it will only be the trial version!

bobfey

Post by bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm

What I downloaded was from the trial stuff and it was just described as the Qcad 2 installer. My CD was the original I used since Dec 12, 2009. I wonder whether I installed off my CD or the installer I think I downloaded. How long will the temp install last, as if it goes forever I must have installed from my CD.k

Thanks for the link to the personal area. I have moved so I needed the opportunity to correct my address and my date of birth.

All I saw on the personal side were the sales of certain disc and books combinations.k

Question about Qcad 3. Are the current books close enough for the newer Qcad 3 programs or is a new book required? Am considering a upgrade but not important enough right now. I need to get my laptop back to full operation. That is going to take a bunch of time. Most of my Qcad files have been found but a couple will have to be redone when I have time. Many of my hundreds of photo's have been found and put to the new laptop, but I see in some cases 3 or 4 of each photo. Going to be a lot of time to understand and correct that situation. All sounds terrible but it is much better now than for the last week as I thought all was lost. This morning I finally got my WD backup drive working again. It needed a good software update. Glad I had that backup system going for a long time. How it got to not working I don't know.

Thanks again.

bobfey

Post by bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

With the files I have restored I get all line work but none of the notes or dimensions.

Which file should I look for in my backup files to retrieve that information.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am

bobfey wrote:What I downloaded was from the trial stuff and it was just described as the Qcad 2 installer. My CD was the original I used since Dec 12, 2009. I wonder whether I installed off my CD or the installer I think I downloaded. How long will the temp install last, as if it goes forever I must have installed from my CD.k .
There is no functional difference between the trial version and the professional version of QCAD.
The trial version terminates after 10 to 15 minutes after which it can be restarted.
bobfey wrote:All I saw on the personal side were the sales of certain disc and books combinations.k
You can login and access your account (look in top right hand page corner), from there go to 'History and details of my orders' -click on this and it will take you to your order history, from there you can select and download the 'full QCAD 2 version'. However as I mentioned before if your download allowance has expired you will need to contact Andrew and explain your circumstance here.
bobfey wrote:Question about Qcad 3. Are the current books close enough for the newer Qcad 3 programs or is a new book required?
Well if you are new to QCAD or CAD in general the QCAD book is a major help and an invaluable reference to have. You will find that the main functionality between version 2 and 3 is more or less the same, the difference being the the new feel and look in QCAD 3 and the introduction of new tools and features -have a look here at the second article down:
http://www.qcad.org/en/

bobfey

Post by bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for those inputs. I have been to the user section. I see nothing about a free download. I don't mind paying if that is what is required. I just don't know if I want to do so. I recently turned 79, do not do any commercial work. Only need is for smaller, personal, operations. I have been working in CAD since back in the 1970's with CADAM(?). Also have had AutoCAD and CATIA experience along with my earliest PC program of Generic CAD. So I have had some rather simple to some very complicated Cad experiences.

My question about which file should I look for on my backup storage area that covers the text, notes, dimension numbers, will certainly speed up my search and transfer from my old laptop to my new laptop. I will start the search right now but one of thousands means a long search and possible not found since I don't know what I am looking for.

Inputs appreciated.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:57 pm

bobfey wrote:Thanks for those inputs. I have been to the user section. I see nothing about a free download.
The 'free' download is referring to the QCAD trial. To get another 'full' version you will need to download it from your own 'personal download area'. If you cannot download it from there it is likely that your downloads have expired, in which case please contact Andrew and explain your situation.
Contact Andrew here: http://www.ribbonsoft.com/shop/contact-form.php
The following 'snap shots' may help you.
Attachments
Online Shop 1.png
Online Shop 1.png (87.85 KiB) Viewed 49392 times
Online Shop 2.png
Online Shop 2.png (25.14 KiB) Viewed 49392 times
Online Shop 3.png
Online Shop 3.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 49392 times
Online Shop 4.png
Online Shop 4.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 49392 times

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:59 pm

bobfey wrote:
My question about which file should I look for on my backup storage area that covers the text, notes, dimension numbers, will certainly speed up my search and transfer from my old laptop to my new laptop. I will start the search right now but one of thousands means a long search and possible not found since I don't know what I am looking for.
Inputs appreciated.
@Andrew, any ideas on this one

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

bobfey: Your download link has expired since you have ordered QCAD in 2009.

I've sent you an e-mail with a temporary download link for the QCAD 2.2 package for Windows.

bobfey

Post by bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Thank you Andrew. I just did the install and now I seem to have all the text and dimensions too.

I do still have the disc so wouldn't that do for installing and get the correct results? Maybe something I did wrong after my crash due to a virus that pretty much wiped out my laptop?

Well I do thank you as I peeked at a couple files and they seem to be OK now.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Installation and Upgrades”