Installation on Ubuntu 7.10

Post your question about installing or upgrading to QCAD 2.1/2.2. Be sure to search, and check the docs before you post!

Moderator: andrew

impert

Post by impert » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:24 am

I've just noticed this:
32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
Is this the problem? 32-bit app on a 64-bit machine? It used to run alright though (I think I was using v. 2.1.3.2 before).

I do appreciate the trouble you're taking. I've noticed the times of your posts - do you ever sleep? Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 am

Yes, 32bit/64bit is the problem.

Here's a starting point on the issue:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

This should be solvable in general, but goes beyond my experience (I've used only 32bit platforms here until now).

impert

Post by impert » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 am

andrew wrote:I'm not sure how you can run a 32bit binary on a 64bit platform. You might want to ask people in some Linux forums or google for that. Anyway, that seems to be the issue here. You might have to install some compatibility libraries or such.
Our posts crossed.

Yes, now that I've got a lead I'll do that. It's definitely possible, because it was running before. There is a thread on 32-bit apps in the Ubuntu forums. Thanks again for your help, and I'll get back when I've got something to add to the discussion.

Cheers.

And crossed again! Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 am

OK, no problem.

Please do post the final solution here as reference for other users with the same problem.

impert

Post by impert » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:54 am

I've just installed ia32-libs, typed ./qcad in Terminal, and Bingo!
Didn't think it would be so easy!

(edit)
The hardest bit was getting the icon into the launcher - I couldn't find an icon in the package - so I had to send myself one from the Mac.

mzee
Newbie Member

Post by mzee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Greetings. Firstly thanks for the information by email and posts above. My experience is almost that of impert. I was trying to install 2.2.1.0-1 on a 64 bit machine running ubuntu 8.04 . Picking up the advice above, I followed the instructions by entering 'apt-get install ia32-libs" then "./qcad" and got nothing, so gave up for the night. In the morning, I wanted to demonstrate the problem to my wife (the IT person in our house). typed "./qcad"and IT WORKED! Could it have been the shutting down of the machine and then the restart? Is it often or always the case that you need to reboot to have changes take effect? I don't have much hope of being able to arrange for the "square Q" up on the top bar of my desktop, so I am starting the program by double-clicking on the little blue-grey cube on the desktop. Tomorrow will be getting and un-tarring the libraries, and getting my drawings file where qcad can find them. Thanks again, and any comments will be appreciated.

impert

Post by impert » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:43 pm

The icon lives in he Qcad folder, in my case it is /usr/local/qcad/doc/img/qcadicon.png. It probably belongs to root, so open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /usr/local/qcad/doc/img/qcadicon.png ~/Desktop
This puts it where you can get to it.
If you right click on the top panel of the Ubuntu screen you get a menu with, as first item, 'Add to Panel'. Click on this and then on 'Custom Application Launcher'. In the 'Create Launcher' window, type 'Qcad' in the Name field, and, in the Command field, put the full path name for Qcad, eg (in my case) /usr/local/qcad/qcad
Left click on the Icon field in the 'Create Launcher' window. Use the 'browse' box to navigate to your Desktop and click on the qcadicon.png file. The launcher icon should appear in the top panel.

mzee
Newbie Member

Post by mzee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks impert. I followed your instructions (with changes to accommodate differences in installations), and wound up with a jumbo-sized "Q" icon on the desktop. Suspecting that I had done something wrong, I canceled that, and tried to redo everything, but somehow acquired a padlock symbol on the icon. I abandoned that, and picked up the path at the "right-click on the top panel' point. Everything went well, but I couldn't find my way back to the qcad icon; so I picked a geometric one that belongs to a game I never intend to install. Everything works well, and, in truth, the icon of convenience is prettier that the intended one! Thanks again.

Ketil b
Registered Member

Post by Ketil b » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:01 pm

andrew wrote:I'm not sure how you can run a 32bit binary on a 64bit platform. You might want to ask people in some Linux forums or google for that. Anyway, that seems to be the issue here. You might have to install some compatibility libraries or such.
HI all

If you are running a 64bit version on a Debian based distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc ...)then you need to install the ia32-libs package for 32bit compatibility.

to install just run this command

Code: Select all

apt-get install ia32-libs
or use a package manger.

more info at
Using proprietary i386 apps on an amd64 system

Ketil b

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Installation and Upgrades”