Gentoo Linux, upgrade from community to pro edition

Post your question about installing or upgrading to QCAD 2.1/2.2. Be sure to search, and check the docs before you post!

Moderator: andrew

Gooserider

Gentoo Linux, upgrade from community to pro edition

Post by Gooserider » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:22 am

I am currently running the Community edition of QCAD (2.0.5.0) on my Gentoo Linux system, and am in the process of upgrading - I'm finding that the method in the FAQ and QCAD book works, but is a bit of a nusiance.

The way Gentoo's Portage installer put the community edition on my system, I can start it directly from the KDE start menu, where I get a nice Icon under the Office submenu, and all the program files live in program space, not in my /home directory (IMHO executables shouldn't be stored in /home)

From poking around in the file system, it appears that currently, the QCAD executable is in /usr/bin, and the rest of the files are in /usr/share

Code: Select all

find / -name "qcad*" -print
/usr/qt/3/etc/settings/qcadrc
/usr/bin/qcad.bin
/usr/bin/qcad
/usr/share/doc/qcad-2.0.5.0
/usr/share/doc/qcad-2.0.5.0/cad/img/qcad1_open_t.png
/usr/share/doc/qcad-2.0.5.0/cad/img/qcad1_attributes.png
/usr/share/doc/qcad-2.0.5.0/cad/img/qcad1_open.png
/usr/share/doc/qcad-2.0.5.0/qcaddoc.adp
/usr/share/qcad-2.0.5.0
/usr/share/qcad-parts
/usr/share/applications/qcad-qcad.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/qcad.xpm
I'd like my pro edition to have a similar setup - but I notice that the file setup I get when opening the pro edition doesn't look at all like what I have in the community edition, so what files should I put where when moving the pro-edition stuff around?

Likewise, how should I install the parts library for the pro-edition?

Thanks,
Gooserider
beginner

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:22 am

We don't recommend to spread the files and directories of QCAD around in different directories as most Linux distributions do. The recommended way to install QCAD is to put it into one single directory (e.g. /home/user/qcad, /home/user/applications/qcad or /opt/qcad, ...).

The main reason for this is that different distributions tend to store things in different places which makes it impossible to satisfy all users with one package. The community edition is compiled and distributed by the folks behind a distribution, so they can choose where to store and look up resources.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:33 am

Well I think I found a solution - I moved the entire qcad directory from my /home to /opt. I then renamed the two qcad files from the community install in /bin to qcad.community and qcad.bin.community, and then made a symlink from the qcad pro executable to /usr/bin/qcad.

Now if I hit the QCAD icon in my KDE start menu, the pro version is the one that starts. So far the only problem I haven't found a fix for yet is that the parts library seems to show the directory tree, but no parts - I suspect I need to move the parts library directory around or fix it's path somehow.

Gooserider
beginner

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 am

Found the answer (sort of) in the manual - put the path to the parts library in the application preferences, and now the parts show up 8)

There was one path that I wasn't sure about - "Translations" - what is that for, and is it something that I need to worry about if I'm only using the english language function of the program? If I do use it, what would the default be for it?

Thanks,

Gooserider
beginner

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Installation and Upgrades”