Q-cad settings for router vs. plasma?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

dmahaffymetalworks
Registered Member

Q-cad settings for router vs. plasma?

Postby dmahaffymetalworks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi,
I'm very new to this CNC world but I have recently purchased a CNC plaa table. Along with this table came a computer with q-cad loaded into it. I have just purchased the CAM license through q-cad and it hasn't made a difference for me yet. The issue that I am having is that when the g code is created via the cam export, it is creating a z-axis movement of 100. I believe this is because it is recognizing my tool as a router? I must be missing something in the settings, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Q-cad settings for router vs. plasma?

Postby andrew » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 pm

QCAD/CAM does not attempt to recognize your machine or even know about its presence.

What QCAD/CAM does is to produce G-Code from a drawing geometry. The specifics of the G-Code that is generated are defined by the machine configuration chosen in the CAM export dialog. The available machine configurations are stored in script files located under scripts/Cam/CamConfigurations of your QCAD/CAM installation. It is very likely that a new configuration has to be made for your specific machine and needs.

If you can post a simple example of G-Code that is understood by your machine and controller, I can be more specific.

dmahaffymetalworks
Registered Member

Postby dmahaffymetalworks » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Andrew,

I looked for the scripts/cam/cam configurations last night and came up empty handed. I also tried to snap a picture of my screen with the g code on it but can not load it for some reason. The first line of the g code is: N10 G00 Z100

Thanks

Dale

andrew
Site Admin

Postby andrew » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 am

dmahaffymetalworks wrote:I also tried to snap a picture of my screen with the g code on it but can not load it for some reason. The first line of the g code is: N10 G00 Z100

What I would need is the G-Code your machine requires (i.e. an example G-Code file that is known to work with your particular controller and machine). The configuration can then be adjusted to output that type of G-Code.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”