Why only polylines with QCAD/CAM?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Why only polylines with QCAD/CAM?

Post by Clive » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Okay so here goes my first question and please forgive my ignorance with these basic questions as I said yesterday I am completely new to all of this, so my questions may help (I hope) others too, if even only to grasp a basic understanding!

Using the tutorial for the QCAD/CAM tech preview, it seems that QCAD/CAM only works with polylines -why is this, I drew out a simple spline shape and soon realised I had to explode it to a polyline in order to relocate a start point?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Why only polylines with QCAD/CAM?

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Clive wrote:I had to explode it to a polyline in order to relocate a start point?
This observation actually pretty much answers your own question :) While QCAD/CAM can deal with any type of entity (including loose lines / arcs / splines / circles / ellipses), there is simply no way for you to define the start point of such a collection of loose entities. By converting the connected entities to polylines you create a clearly defined geometry with a start point and a direction.

For closed splines, a tool to relocate the start point could be implemented but you would loose your fits points in the process and the spline would be converted into a spline with control points. Such a tool might still be implemented at one point though.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks Andrew for explaining, all understood.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

olly

Post by olly » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:57 pm

i hope we get the NC-Code for Fonts as easy as in the old version! ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:45 pm

olly wrote:i hope we get the NC-Code for Fonts as easy as in the old version! ?
Sure.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”