Indexing

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Dreamaker

Indexing

Post by Dreamaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Is there a way to index a part for the CNC Router. Let say I have a part with no square edges to 0,0 from, it has a bunch of curves. Let say I took the part off the base or just want to flip and do the others side of the part.

In graphics, like screen printing multi colors or maybe colors in a magazine. they use what looks like a cross hair target to register or index the next color location. I thought like multiple prick marks or small holes to align the part. I guess it could be done manually but would be nice for 2D parts if there was a tool. Or does something already exist??

Thank You

Dan

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Indexing

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Dan,
Dreamaker wrote:... it has a bunch of curves. Let say I took the part off the base or just want to flip and do the others side of the part.
if you have to mill your workpiece on both sides or you are in need to mill a workpiece which is longer than your cnc work area (multi step milling) then it is advisable to use holes and "pins" for a correct workpiece alignment. Depending on your workpiece is a fence / hole or a hole / hole combination possible. I know a few guys who love to use the needles from needle roller bearings and mill the holes into the workpiece AND into the Sacrifice board for positioning.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dreamaker

Post by Dreamaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 am

I understand that part with the dowel pins and fence, I used it when I use to run a manual Bridgeport. One problem I have these CNC Routers they don't have allot of Z height, so if I start stacking It limits my Z play. I just thought with a CNC, maybe could setup a point array somewhat, to get a fast setup to a projects. I'll have to think about it!!

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

Dreamaker wrote:One problem I have these CNC Routers they don't have allot of Z height, so if I start stacking It limits my Z play.
without knowing your hardware nor setup but I think a dowel pin solution should not limit you more in z as the z of the workpiece itself ....
Dreamaker wrote:I just thought with a CNC, maybe could setup a point array somewhat, to get a fast setup to a projects. I'll have to think about it!!
Is a dowel pin solution not already a point array ...?

Additional note: Maybe you like to feed your www search engine with something like "cnc 3d taster" "cnc 2D taster" etc.
Maybe the result helps you thinking .... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dreamaker

Post by Dreamaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 pm

This is my Router, it is a Chinese 3040, don't have allot of room to play in the Z area. I just need to come up with something for quick setup. I don't intend on making multiple parts, but just in case I need another,work area is limited. I am kind of thinking of a separate G-code for setup and location. Have to think about it, I don't know, may be I will never use it.
Attachments
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 7149 times

Return to “QCAD/CAM”