How to write my own configuration files?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Dacicusan

How to write my own configuration files?

Post by Dacicusan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi. I'm quite new on using Qcad/CAM and I can't find very detailed documentation that explains how to do it by myself.

I read the help-file who it is pointing to this link, but still I'm not sure that I have all the information that I need to do it by myself. For example I don't understand how I can associate layer names with different machining options and how I can create by myself these CAM settings.

Also seems that the tool library (CAM tools) it is not saved? I need to recreate my own tool library with every new drawing that I'm creating? I am missing something? How I can create my own CAM tools and save/load them?

How to create my own post-processor file for my machine? I'm using a MasterCAM one.

I will be very grateful to see a better documentation. Also some youtube videos will be of great help, as they are right now very scarce.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How to write my own configuration files?

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Dacicusan wrote:For example I don't understand how I can associate layer names with different machining options and how I can create by myself these CAM settings.
You would typically create toolpaths from your entities. If all entities on a layer are processed with the same parameters, you would create one toolpath from all entities on that layer.
Dacicusan wrote:Also seems that the tool library (CAM tools) it is not saved? I need to recreate my own tool library with every new drawing that I'm creating? I am missing something? How I can create my own CAM tools and save/load them?
That's correct. You will have to add the tools for each new drawing. However, you could load an old drawing as a starting point or template of a new drawing to use the same tools.

A tool library is planned for a future version of QCAD/CAM.
Dacicusan wrote:How to create my own post-processor file for my machine? I'm using a MasterCAM one.
The link you've posted above should give you a starting point for a first own configuration. Once you have that working, feel free to post any more specific questions here.

Dacicusan

Re: How to write my own configuration files?

Post by Dacicusan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 pm

andrew wrote:You would typically create toolpaths from your entities. If all entities on a layer are processed with the same parameters, you would create one toolpath from all entities on that layer.
Ok, but I need to associate ALL the geometry from a specific layer to a specific kind of mechanisation. My layers are setup to be imported for batch processing in different CAM applications like WoodWop and AlphaCAM. There I have a configuration file where I wrote how to read different layers and how to associate different CNC operations depending on the layer names.

Something like this: WoodWOP_Layer_Names_to_DXF_Geometry.pdf, but I created my own layer name notation. For example "P_T6_2" means Pocket operation using the Tool number 6 and a depth of 2mm. "OS_T4_10" means Outside contour using the tool nr. 4, and a cut of 10mm deep.

I need to be able to do the same sort of workflow in QcadCAM using a configuration file.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”