Cam configuration G-codes ?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dahlberg
Newbie Member

Cam configuration G-codes ?

Post by dahlberg » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:42 am

Hello all.
First post here and I'm new to this stuff, but learning :idea: I have been cad-drawing for quite some time and usually I get by decently.
I'm building my own cnc-mill/router and then of cource I will need to learn CAM as well. So started fiddling around and all seemed to be coming along fairly good. That's up till the point when I saw that I was doing CAM in .DXF :oops:
I'm planning to use "Pumotix" as the control soft/hardware and when reading up on what G-codes where supported I got a little confused :?

There are G-codes from 0 to 99 and from reading the list they all seem to have a specific task.
Now I'm really hoping that I will not have to change CAM export settings for every single different process. 8)
I remember reading here somewhere that if the controlling software was able to understand for instance G41/42 I should be good to go.

Would I be ok if making all toolpaths in G-41/42 mm ?

Edit: I'm on Windows10 using QCAD/CAM 3.26.4. Postprocessor "G-code G41/G42 mm".

Link: http://doc.pumotix.ru/display/PUMENG/Li ... the+System
Attachments
amplifiers cam.png
amplifiers cam.png (198.43 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
amplifiers cam.dxf
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by dahlberg on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Cam configuration G-codes ?

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:35 am

dahlberg wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:42 am
Would I be ok if making all toolpaths in G-41/42 mm ?
Yes, if your controller supports these, you can use G41/42 for tool radius compensation. Alternatively, computed offsets can always be used (post processors with "(Offset)" in the name). There are advantages and disadvantages for both systems.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”