Locating legacy text artefacts

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

lesthegringo

Locating legacy text artefacts

Post by lesthegringo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am

Hi all

This is a recurring issue for me due to my workflow for making PCB's and such like. During the design I annotate various parts with text in order to try and keep control of what I am designing. After I have finished designing the PCB, I very often used Inkscape to help me verify the logic of the circuit, as if I have designed in correctly I can import as an .svg file, then flood fill individual traces so that I can verify that they are complete and go where I want them to. It's been a huge benefit to my efforts as you can easily spot errors this way

However in order to import into Inkscape, you have to eradicate all traces of text, as if you don't it will simply throw out an error and refuse to load the file. Since the text is only there for the design phase I have no issue getting rid of it, except even if I do once I have put text onto a design, half the time deleting the text is not enough. Something is left behind that causes the error, and despite my best efforts I was unable to find it.

As I use CAMBAM to actually produce the GCode, yesterday by pure chance I stumbled on an error on a file that refused to open in Inkscape. CAMBAM showed up one small item of text (in this case it was a minus sign), but when I opened up the file in QCAD I could not locate it. It is there, but I can't find it.

I therefore need to find a way to show me all the text artefacts in the .dxf file so that I can completely delete them. Is there a way to selectively do this?

Cheers

Les

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Locating legacy text artefacts

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:54 am

Hi Les,
lesthegringo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am
However in order to import into Inkscape, you have to eradicate all traces of text, as if you don't it will simply throw out an error and refuse to load the file. Since the text is only there for the design phase I have no issue getting rid of it, except even if I do once I have put text onto a design, half the time deleting the text is not enough. Something is left behind that causes the error, and despite my best efforts I was unable to find it.
Whats about to put all text annotation on a dedicated layer? After the design phase is done delete the layer and import the file into inkscape.
lesthegringo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am
I therefore need to find a way to show me all the text artefacts in the .dxf file so that I can completely delete them. Is there a way to selectively do this?
What is a text artifact? Part of an exploded text? Why is it exploded? However - if the annotation was placed on only one layer all text and "text artifacts" will be deleted by deleting this layer. If the annotation wasn't on one layer the Selection Filter can find all text in your drawing. Find and delete ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lesthegringo

Post by lesthegringo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 am

Hi there, thanks for answering

I do try to put all the text on a dedicated layer, as this means I can switch on and off the visibility to reduce the clutter when doing complex circuits. However, either by mistake, or by inadvertently selecting and pasting onto another layer, or some other unrecognised mechanism, bits of text get put onto unexpected parts of the drawing.

As mentioned, in CAMBAM they can be seen, but when I go to the .dxf file and specifically look in the location that the artefact is in CAMBAM, you can't see anything, even with all layers visible. The 'fragments are full stops, commas, a single digit number or single character, at least according to CAMBAM. Nonetheless they are there, Inkscape picks it up as well and throws the error.

I am not saying there is something wrong with QCAD, I am entirely willing to accept it is a faux pas on my part. However if there was a way to make all text and associated items show up, at least I could delete them

Cheers

Les

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:27 am

lesthegringo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 am
As mentioned, in CAMBAM they can be seen, but when I go to the .dxf file and specifically look in the location that the artefact is in CAMBAM, you can't see anything, even with all layers visible. The 'fragments are full stops, commas, a single digit number or single character, at least according to CAMBAM. Nonetheless they are there, Inkscape picks it up as well and throws the error.
For an efficient support we need to see the drawing or an example drawing which shows the issue in question. Please attache a dxf/dwg to your post and point us where to find such artifacts. Thanks.
lesthegringo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 am
I am not saying there is something wrong with QCAD, I am entirely willing to accept it is a faux pas on my part. However if there was a way to make all text and associated items show up, at least I could delete them
I can tell you more when I have seen the drawing ... :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lesthegringo

Post by lesthegringo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:46 am

Here you go, this has the text number 1 in it according to CAMBAM, and Inkscape rejects it

Thanks for the help

Les
Attachments
New altimeter PCB trial rear face.dxf
(139.6 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:58 am

Thanks.

That is still text. You can use the Selection Filter to find and select Text. Then delete the selection or move it to a designated layer.

Husky-2023.02.01-02.png
Husky-2023.02.01-02.png (57.64 KiB) Viewed 8261 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:03 am

Husky: This user is using the QCAD Community Edition but posted to the wrong forum.

lesthegringo: Please post to the QCAD CE forum at:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=76

This is to make sure, we know what edition of QCAD you are using. QCAD CE does not have a selection filter.
I've moved all your previous threads to the QCAD CE forum.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”