What is the purpose(s) of the grid function.

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Jim.Thompson

What is the purpose(s) of the grid function.

Post by Jim.Thompson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:27 am

Can someone explain to me the functions of the grid in Qcad please?

Clive

Re: What is the purpose(s) of the grid function.

Post by Clive » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 am

Hi Jim
Imagine you are drawing something out on a piece of paper and you need some guidelines to help with the drawing, well if the paper is a blank sheet you may want to use a ruler to add some lines - or you could instead use a piece of graph paper which is pretty much what the grid is like in QCAD and it can be set in metric or imperial spacing.

I use the grid often, I find it helps with keeping things aligned and so on, turn it on or off as needed.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Jim.Thompson

Post by Jim.Thompson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for the explanation Fred. I will no doubt find a use for it, like you describe.
I find that it gets in the way sometimes though!

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Jim.Thompson wrote:I find that it gets in the way sometimes though!
Yes it can if you don't need it, but if you just hit the grid button to turn on and off as you need it it becomes a useful tool instead!
Grid tool.jpg
Grid tool.jpg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Jim.Thompson

Post by Jim.Thompson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the explanation Clive.
However, when I turn it off, the cursor still jumps in small steps in a grid pattern, as if the grid function is operational behind the selection.
I have found this happens in other programs too, like LibreCad.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Jim.Thompson wrote: ...when I turn it off, the cursor still jumps in small steps in a grid pattern, as if the grid function is operational behind the selection.
What Clive has mention is to make the Grid visible or invisible. It doesn't has any affect on the grid function itself. What means an enable snap to grid will still work even if the Grid is invisible.

It sounds to me that you enabled the Auto Snap function for Grid points below Application Preferences.
Husky-2017.01.01-01.png
Husky-2017.01.01-01.png (34.02 KiB) Viewed 8742 times
Un-tick this option and it will no longer snap to the grid. This makes sense if you only use the Grid snap occasionally ... like me. I have everything ticked in Auto Snap except the Grid Points. If I need a snap to a Grid Point I have to turn it on manually below Menu / Snap / Grid or for more convenience in a Tool Bar ...
Husky-2017.01.01-02.png
Husky-2017.01.01-02.png (14.9 KiB) Viewed 8742 times
Note: If you use the Snap to Grid manually it will turn off the Auto Snap - like all other manually chosen Snaps. To go back to Auto snap just click it ... and the Snap to grid will automatically be turned off.
Husky-2017.01.01-03.png
Husky-2017.01.01-03.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 8742 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”