Grid dots - disappeared

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

clueless
Newbie Member

Grid dots - disappeared

Post by clueless » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm a new user and have now got to grips with some aspects of QCAD. When I began, the grid had 10×10 dots which were very useful. They were white on a black background. I had someone fiddle with QCAD to try to get the thing to print, but in doing so I now have a white background (that's good) but no dots. Grid lines (grey) are still there.

Where should I look to reinstate the grid dots?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Grid dots - disappeared

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am

Hello clueless - welcome to the forum.
clueless wrote:Where should I look to reinstate the grid dots?
You are now in the Print Preview - click again on "Print Preview" and it will switch back to your expected view.

Why is that so? You can adjust your drawing area to what ever fits best for you. Black Background, green background, white background and so on. The default in QCAD is a black background because most user prefer a dark background (and BTW it is more comfortable to your eyes if you have to work many hours on a drawing).

However - If you then start the print process with "Print Preview" QCAD will switch the background to white just to give you a better clue how it will later appear on paper.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

clueless
Newbie Member

Re: Grid dots - disappeared

Post by clueless » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks Husky. Unfortunately, it wasnt that straightforward. After much fiddling I've fixed the problem and will outline it here in case others have a similar problem in the future.

I got the background back to black using Application Preferences > Graphics View > Colors > Background, and then changed the Meta Grid to a suitable colour, but still there were no dots. However, I did now get 'sub-squares' when I zoomed in (I didn't get sub-squares or sub-dots before) so all I needed was to get the sub-squares to become dots, which I did by unchecking AP > Graphics View > Grid > Solid Grid Lines. I had expected this to make the 'main' grid lines non-solid, but in fact it just made the sub-grid (Meta-Grid?) lines into dots. I then made the dots white at AP > GV > C > Grid. There was also a problem with AP > GV > G > Minimal Grid Spacing, which had been set to 500. I reset it to 10. So solved!

I think Meta Grid means the main grid, and Grid means the dots, but that isn't logical to me and so I'm probably wrong. Anyway, good luck to anyone else who loses their dots!

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”