DXF Troubleshooting

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

dcooper8
Registered Member

DXF Troubleshooting

Post by dcooper8 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

We are adding SPLINE support for our DXF output-format for Gendl, our open-source KBE system (http://gendl.org).

I hope this is an appropriate place for this post. I'm trying to find some pointers for debugging what appears to be a subtle issue with a DXF file we are trying to output, containing a spline.

The attached DXF opens fine in QCad, but fails in Autodesk A360 viewer.

So apparently QCad is more forgiving than Autodesk A360 viewer. Is there a way in QCad to examine the DXF file for any "warnings" or malformed input, or can anyone see something obviously incorrect with this file? Removing the SPLINE entities results in it working in Autodesk 360 viewer -- so apparently there is something wrong in the SPLINE entities.

I've attached the text-format DXF file as well as a screen capture of how it looks when opened with QCad.

Best Regards,

Dave Cooper
genworks.com, gendl.org
Attachments
spline-dxf-qcad.png
spline-dxf-qcad.png (239.85 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
try.dxf
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: DXF Troubleshooting

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi dcooper8,

I'm not the right guy to help you with any kind of coding but maybe my findings are helpful for your own analyse. :wink:
dcooper8 wrote:The attached DXF opens fine in QCad, but fails in Autodesk A360 viewer.
FAQ:
I can open your dxf in the Community Edition but QCAD Pro and A360 Viewer fails.
If I open your test file in CE - save it again - then I'm able to read it correct in Pro.
Working with QCAD CE - copying all entities from Layer 0 to a new one will make splines and text readable for the A360 Viewer.
Husky-2017.07.07-02.png
Husky-2017.07.07-02.png (23.9 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
Husky-2017.07.07-01.png
Husky-2017.07.07-01.png (25.51 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
try_CE-newlayer.dxf
(49.39 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Hope that helps.
Regards
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

dcooper8
Registered Member

Re: DXF Troubleshooting

Post by dcooper8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Dear Husky,

Thank you very much for looking at it! I will certainly use your results in my analysis, and will report here what I find out!

Saving with QCad CE & trying to re-open was definitely a good idea, and something I should have tried myself... so now I can try doing a diff analysis on our original file vs the QCad CE saved version (the QCad version will have a lot of extra header and footer stuff, which I can try stripping down to the minimum working set).

Regards,

Dave

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”