[solved] Toggling single layer visibility after "Hide All Layers" doesn't work

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

edvard

[solved] Toggling single layer visibility after "Hide All Layers" doesn't work

Post by edvard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 am

QCAD: 3.17.1 to 3.18.0; Community Edition compiled from Git or Trial version with plugins disabled;

I often work with drawings that have typically 5 or more layers, and sometimes I need to work on one layer by itself, sometimes two. My typical workflow is to click the "Hide All Layers" button above the layer list, and click the 'eye' icon next to the layer(s) I want to show. QCAD 3.17.0 is the last version that still allows this. Since QCAD 3.17.1 up to 3.18.0, if I click "Hide All Layers" and all layers are hidden, then click the 'eye' icon on any layer to toggle visibility, the layer doesn't show. If I select a layer and right-click and select "Show Only Active", it will show only that layer, but toggling visibility on any other layer doesn't show those layers. No layers are frozen. The only workaround is to "Show All Layers", and individually toggle off the visibility of layers I don't want to show. At first, I thought this was a consequence of fixing bug #1582, as that bug was fixed in version 3.17.1:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1582
but if I use QCAD with Pro plugins enabled, everything works as before, so I suspect this is the intended behavior. I am really hoping this is simply a bug and not intentional, as the workaround is tedious and an impediment to workflow compared to earlier versions.

Steps to reproduce:
1-Load a DXF with two or more layers into QCAD Community Edition (CE) compiled from Git, or QCAD Trial with Pro plugins disabled (rename the plugins or move them to a different directory).
2- Click on "Hide All Layers" button; all layers will be hidden.
3- Click on the 'eye' icon next to any layer in the layer list to toggle visibility; layer will not show.
4- Select a layer and right-click to bring up the popup menu and select "Show Only Active"; selected layer will show by itself.
5- Click on the 'eye' icon next to any other layer in the layer list to toggle visibility; additional layer will not show, and previously shown layer will remain visible.
6- Click on "Show All Layers" button; all layers will be visible.
7- Click on the 'eye' icon next to any layer in the layer list to toggle visibility; layers will show or be hidden according to their previous visibility.
8- Close QCAD CE, then Load a DXF with two or more layers into QCAD Trial with Pro plugins enabled.
9- Click on "Hide All Layers" button; all layers will be hidden.
10- Click on the 'eye' icon next to any other layer in the layer list to toggle visibility; layers will show or be hidden according to their previous visibility.
11- Select a layer and right-click to bring up the popup menu and select "Show Only Active"; selected layer will show by itself.
12- Click on the 'eye' icon next to any other layer in the layer list to toggle visibility; additional layer will show or be hidden according to their previous visibility.

Thank you,
-Eddy
Last edited by edvard on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

edvard

Re: Toggling single layer visibility after "Hide All Layers" doesn't work

Post by edvard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:33 am

No replies yet, so does anybody else notice this behavior, or is it just me? Wouldn't be the first time... :roll:

If anybody has time, please test this and report back ESPECIALLY if you have the same thing happening... It would be nice to know I'm not alone. :wink:

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:22 am

Hi Eddy,

I tested your report with a QCAD CE version on a Win10 OS.
edvard wrote:No replies yet, so does anybody else notice this behavior, or is it just me? Wouldn't be the first time... :roll:

If anybody has time, please test this and report back ESPECIALLY if you have the same thing happening... It would be nice to know I'm not alone. :wink:
Here the good news: You are not alone ... e_surprised

Now the bad news: I was able to reproduce this with the Community edition but I have no Idea how to fix it. Andrew should have a look at this.
The Pro works just fine ...

Hope this info helps.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

edvard

Post by edvard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 am

Thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone... :D

OK, the next step is to hear back from Andrew whether this is a bug or a feature. If it's a bug, I don't mind doing the legwork to report it in the bugtracker.

edvard

Post by edvard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks Andrew.

I just did a git pull and recompile. Still not behaving as 'normal'. I do "Hide All Layers" and click individual layers, the 'eye' icon now changes states from hidden to visible, but the corresponding layer stays hidden. I sent a request to re-open at the bugtracker. Let me know if you need any more information.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 pm

edvard wrote:Still not behaving as 'normal'.
The bugtracker tells me it's fixed and the QCAD - Changelog shows that this fix is available with the next release ....

https://www.qcad.org/en/changelog

... no need to reopen the bug report. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

edvard

Post by edvard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 am

Ah, my apologies, I made some assumptions I shouldn't have.

One, I thought that when it was marked "fixed" that the fixes would be available in Git, so when I pulled and recompiled and it still didn't work as expected, I thought it sill wasn't fixed.
Two, the button in the bugtracker says "Request re-open", so I expected it was up to Andrew to either accept or deny the request; I didn't know it would actually re-open the entry.

I will wait for the next release then, and keep my grubby mitts off the bugtracker. :wink: Using 3.17.0 until then.

Thanks!

edvard

Re: Toggling single layer visibility after "Hide All Layers" doesn't work(SOLVED with new version)

Post by edvard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 am

I see there's a new version out, and it works like a charm. Thanks Andrew and Team! (whoever you team people are...) :wink:

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”