Possible to lock / dock toolbars?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

lphilpot

Possible to lock / dock toolbars?

Post by lphilpot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:39 am

I seem to have a unerring knack for accidentally dragging my carefully-placed toolbars away from where they were carefully placed. Is it possible to dock (or otherwise lock down) toolbar positions?

Dunno if it makes any difference, but I'm currently using the community edition.*

* I put QCAD Pro on my Christmas list (which I'm sure I'll get from my wife), but now I'm in a quandary: After playing with it for only a few days and reading the (highly excellent) posts on the forums, I'm going to find it very difficult to wait until Christmas! I want it now, but I also don't want to ruin my wife's gift to me. :wink:

Thanks!
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Possible to lock / dock toolbars?

Post by Husky » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 am

lphilpot wrote:I seem to have a unerring knack for accidentally dragging my carefully-placed toolbars away from where they were carefully placed. Is it possible to dock (or otherwise lock down) toolbar positions?
You can place Toolbars, Widgets etc on two ways: "floating" or "docked". Docked means that it will "melt" into the QCAD interface.

Example floating:
Husky-2017.11.01-04.png
Husky-2017.11.01-04.png (53 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Example docked:
Husky-2017.11.01-05.png
Husky-2017.11.01-05.png (58.62 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
There is no way to "Lock" the position permanently - you have to learn "to control" your fingers e_surprised

Note: Every setting, layout in QCAD will be saved automatically in a file called qcad3.ini in the moment when you close QCAD. Maybe it would be a good idea during this "learning curve" to backup this file and use it in the case that you accidentally busted your layout.
In this not related FAQ you will find the info where to find that file ...
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentati ... leshooting

lphilpot wrote:* I put QCAD Pro on my Christmas list (which I'm sure I'll get from my wife), but now I'm in a quandary: After playing with it for only a few days and reading the (highly excellent) posts on the forums, I'm going to find it very difficult to wait until Christmas! I want it now, but I also don't want to ruin my wife's gift to me. :wink:
You are in trouble! 8)
However - the Community edition is an excellent start and in the case that you can't find helpful info's in the forum just ask. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Re: Possible to lock / dock toolbars?

Post by lphilpot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Note: Every setting, layout in QCAD will be saved automatically in a file called qcad3.ini in the moment when you close QCAD. Maybe it would be a good idea during this "learning curve" to backup this file and use it in the case that you accidentally busted your layout.
Yep. I have a zipped backup of the ~/.config/QCAD directory and also wrote a whole-machine backup shell script that runs weekly, so I'm covered. Hopefully! I just know that QT offers locked toolbars (apparently, based on other apps) and wondered if it was implemented here.
You are in trouble! 8)
You're right! :wink: But I also know that, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"! :lol: So I'll let her buy it for me.

From what I've seen (as a definite hobbyist-level CAD guy at best), QCAD hits a nice sweet spot in terms of usability, capabilities and complexity. In all fairness it doesn't have the feature set of (for example) DraftSight nor nanocad (never mind PowerShape, etc.), so they're technically more powerful. But although neither is on a par with current AutoCAD and such, they're still much more complex to use than QCAD. I'm on Linux -- nanocad won't run there (even under Wine) and although there's a Linux beta of DraftSight, for some reason it crashes predictably at certain points. Plus, QCAD (community) support is head and shoulders above the others.

So in the end, QCAD ends up being more "powerful" for me, since it allows me to do things faster and easier. That's "high praise" coming from me, since I usually prefer to use the most "pro" version of any product / type. Since what I do is for myself, I don't need an end-of-the-world product and 100% compatibility and industry-compliance isn't a requirement.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Christmas. 8)

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”