"Save As" problem in Windows 10

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

TomC
Registered Member

"Save As" problem in Windows 10

Post by TomC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 pm

QCAD can save a new file, but if I open one that's been saved and try to save it under a new name using the "Save As" option, I get "You don't have permission to save in this location." I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition and QCAD Version 3.20.1. I found an item on one of the QCAD forums saying to install the program then change the permissions of the installation folder to allow writes. If that's the fix, which user needs write permission - "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES," "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES," "CREATOR OWNER," "Users," or "TrustedInstaller"? Maybe this isn't the fix for Windows 10 and the current QCAD. What needs to be done? If I remember to copy my file and rename it outside of QCAD, I can get by the problem, but it would be a shame to open a file, make a lot of changes, try to save it under a new name and not be able to do so, losing all the changes.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: "Save As" problem in Windows 10

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Which folder are you trying to write to? Maybe try your desktop or home folder instead.

The installation folder does not need write permissions, unless you try to save in there (which is a bad idea).

TomC
Registered Member

Post by TomC » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm using a folder I created that is not under the installation folder. Again, if I open QCAD from it's shortcut and create a new drawing, QCAD can save that in a new file in my folder. However, if I open an existing file and try to save it under a different name using "Save As," that's when I get the permissions message. The message offers to save the file to what I believe to be my "Home" folder - but if I tell the program to do so, the file doesn't get saved anywhere under the new name. The problem seems to be with the "Save As" function.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 pm

The message you've indicated and the option to save in the home folder instead actually comes from the Windows file dialog.
I can reproduce this, but only when trying to save to a folder I don't have access to (e.g. c:\).

Choosing to save to the home folder then indeed saves to the home folder instead as it should.

Not sure what's going on there. Perhaps creating another folder will help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

TomC wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm
The problem seems to be with the "Save As" function.
No, I don't think that has anything to do with QCAD!

As everybody knows - Windows is vulnerable and MS implemented over the time more and more safety levels to protect folders and files. In Win10 (not only!) you have folders which need a second confirmation that you are the "Master of the System" and not the "bad guy" who tries to bend the system. The old idea "but I'm logged in as Admin" isn't enough anymore! Yes, if you know how to circumnavigate those protections you can still save or manipulate every Folder and any file but that isn't the job of an application like QCAD.

In my opinion the best way to organize your own created files of any type is to stick to two location:
First and main location: "Documents"
This Folder is already provided by Win for this purpose and isn't protected with a multi level protection/permission. You can create as much sub folders as you need for an easy organization of your files.
Maybe you like to create a sub-folder for your drawing like Documents/drawings
The default path to documents is: C:\Users\username\Documents

The second location would be the Desktop folder. A few user like to clutter the desktop with files but I think it should only be used for shortcuts to application and temporary storage of files. Anyway - helpful in the case of need but not the first choice!

A nice side-effect of the "Documents" organization is that it is very easy to set up a backup routine for your own files. As always: Better safe than sorry ... :wink:

Just my two cents. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”