dimension

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

SMR
Newbie Member

dimension

Post by SMR » Thu May 11, 2023 12:20 am

QCAD Professional

Version:
3.28.1.0 (3.28.1)

Windows 11

I am a newbie doing something wrong. When I ask for dimension and click on a point it does not enter a position but starts a new shape.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: dimension

Post by Husky » Thu May 11, 2023 12:42 am

SMR wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:20 am
When I ask for dimension and click on a point it does not enter a position but starts a new shape.
I assume you are trying to determine the dimensioning with the right mouse button. Use instead the left mouse button and it will work.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu May 11, 2023 5:48 am

SMR wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:20 am
When I ask for dimension and click on a point it does not enter a position but starts a new shape.
I think this is all intended behavior.
When you start drawing a new dimension entity and click the first point a preview appears of the dimension to create.
Have a closer look at the mouse icon in the Status Bar and the text beside it (usually bottom center of your screen).
The tool tips beside the mouse icon will guide you through the creation process.

For an Aligned Dimension (LA) the left mouse button tool tips are :
- First extension line origin
- Second extension line origin
- Dimension line location
And this cycles until the tool is closed.

The right mouse button tool tips swaps between:
- Back (one step back in the creation process)
- Cancel

Remark that this is for adding dimensions to your drawing.
Use the Info tools for indicative measuring.

Regards,
CVH

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Thu May 11, 2023 11:22 pm

This does not work that way. The bottom line says first dimension line location and when I left click with the mouse at a position that changes to second dimension line position but the mouse begins drawing a figure. if I continue to the third element I get a new rectangle. None of the positions fill in at the top boxes.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri May 12, 2023 12:42 am

SMR wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:22 pm
This does not work that way. The bottom line says first dimension line location and when I left click with the mouse at a position that changes to second dimension line position but the mouse begins drawing a figure.
QCAD already forms the dimension with the given information ...
SMR wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:22 pm
if I continue to the third element I get a new rectangle. None of the positions fill in at the top boxes.
Could it be that your Label size is to small to see? Menu/Drawing Preferences/Dimension Settings/Text Hight

Dimensioning.gif
Dimensioning.gif (950.81 KiB) Viewed 7335 times

If this video still not solves the issue please attache the drawing in question to your post. Thank you.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 am

I click on dimension, vertical, put click the cursor on a point and it says select second point but when I move the cursor I get a new line
I have no idea how to give you the image. Neither print screen nor CTRL C followed by CTRL V puts the image here

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri May 12, 2023 4:41 am

SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 am
but when I move the cursor I get a new line
Probably the dimension line.
If you move the third point aside, do you get extension lines too?

First have a look at the drawing dimension settings like Husky pointed out:
- Menu Edit .. Drawing Preferences .. Dimension Settings .. Sizes .. Text height
- Menu Edit .. Drawing Preferences .. Dimension Settings .. Sizes .. Size scale factor
- Menu Edit .. Drawing Preferences .. Dimension Settings .. Label .. Label font

Text height times Size scale factor should be a value that is meaningful and visible in your drawing.
Label font should be a well-known font that you know for sure represents something with numbers.
SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 am
I have no idea how to give you the image. Neither print screen nor CTRL C followed by CTRL V puts the image here
You need to save the screen grab as an image and attach that to your post.
But you could also attach the file or part of it so we can have a look ourselves.

Regards,
CVH

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Fri May 12, 2023 4:47 am

Transaction failed. Please check for block recursions and locked or invisible layers or blocks

Does this explain anything?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri May 12, 2023 4:54 am

SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 4:47 am
Transaction failed. Please check for block recursions and locked or invisible layers or blocks
Yes, you probably have the current active layer hidden, frozen or locked.
See Layer List, the current active layer has a pencil icon near to it.

Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri May 12, 2023 8:01 am

SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 4:47 am
Yes and no. It explains you are facing an additional but unrelated issue. You told us that during the dimensioning other shapes are created like rectangle etc. That isn't possible with an invisible, frozen or locked layer.

You may try it again ...
1. make sure your active layer is not invisible, frozen or locked.
2. do a dimensioning according to my posted video.

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Fri May 12, 2023 7:47 pm

Really sorry I ever purchased this program. I have one layer, visible and active. I will repeat that when try to do what you say, the command line says First extension line origin but the mouse begins drawing a new line after I click on a point and more it.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri May 12, 2023 9:34 pm

SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:47 pm
Really sorry I ever purchased this program.
To get a better understanding of the situation. You told us you are a "Newbie". Nothing wrong with that statement! Everybody of us was at one point a newbie. However - do you mean by that new to QCAD or new to CAD in general?

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 pm

I am a scientist and electrical engineer. I have used a variety of computer aided design programs over the years but have only a little experience with mechanical design.

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm

I still do not know how to post a screen shot. Printscreen and Ctrl V do not work.

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Sat May 13, 2023 12:03 am

This will be my last post before I discard the program. I will reiterate for the once last time that I ask for vertical dimension, the command line says set first extension, I click on that, it says set second extension and when I move the mouse it draws a line. The command line is not being followed by the program. If there is no answer to this I will just discard the program. I cannot waste more time one it.

Return to “Chat”