Jpeg in background

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Denis GAILLARD
Newbie Member

Jpeg in background

Post by Denis GAILLARD » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:41 am

Good morning,

I'm using version 3.25.2.0 (3.25.2) on Windows 10.

I draw plans for shows and I use a image as a background with the architect's drawing.
Every time I transfer my DXF file to another machine, the image does not display.

I understand that this comes from the fact that the image is described with its complete link (in my case G:/Doc....../ETAGE1 cropped.tif because my documents are in G:)
On my laptop my documents are in C: ...... and as there is no G: disk on my laptop Qcad doesn't find anything.

Is my analysis correct?

If so, how should we decide the link of this image (File Properties) which is always in the same folder as the DXF?

Thank you in advance for your valuable help.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Jpeg in background

Post by CVH » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:22 am

Hi,
You could include the image files in the same folder as the drawings.
It is said that QCAD will also revert to the drawing folder when it can not locate the images in the indicated path.

If common practice then you could also remove the path text of the image File link property in the Property Editor when selected.
On inserting, on creation of an image entity it is an absolute path.

Since shortly QCAD also supports relative paths for image files.
That would also solve the C drive to G drive path issue but you also need to edit the image File link property.

Denis GAILLARD
Newbie Member

Post by Denis GAILLARD » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Hi and Thank you for the quick reply.
Sorry but I can't achieve what you suggested (even if I understand it very well)

For the example, I am attaching a .zip which contains a dxf file with an image and a red frame (see reference pdf). The image inserted in layer 0 is called G:/Documents/DXF Image\Etage.jpg.
How do I label the name of this file so that Qcad looks for it in the current folder and so that I can move this "DXF Image" folder to any PC while finding my entire file (like the attached PDF)?
As soon as I modify the link in FILE-PROPERTIES, the image disappears.

Thank you in advance for your explanations.

With my cordial greetings
Attachments
DXF Image.zip
(5.63 MiB) Downloaded 147 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:01 pm

@ Denis GAILLARD,

I recommend to stick to KISS. (Google the acronym :wink:)

Keep the dxf and the image in the same folder and QCAD will always find and load it.

Excample maschine 1:
G:/Doc....../projectxyz/ETAGE1.dxf
G:/Doc....../projectxyz/ETAGE1 cropped.tif

Moved/copied to maschine 2:
C:/Doc....../completed/ETAGE1.dxf
C:/Doc....../completed/ETAGE1 cropped.tif

Drive and folder name doesn't matter - just put those files again in the same folder.

Note: Qcad priority is to search FIRST for the image in the dxf home folder - if that fails then it will use the image path...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Denis GAILLARD
Newbie Member

Post by Denis GAILLARD » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:04 pm

Hello Husky,

Thank you for participating in the discussion.
Here's an image that shows that it doesn't work for me.
PC1 to PC2.jpg
PC1 to PC2.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4587 times
On the right of the photo, my desktop PC with which I create the document. I save the dxf and make sure that the background jpeg of the shot is in the same folder. I copy the folder to a USB stick. I put the key on my cell phone and load the dxf. On the left of the photo you see the screen of my laptop. You can recognize everything I drew in the layers but you can't find the architect's plan in the background (blue bleachers at the top of the image and walls all around).
So I'm very annoyed. Wouldn't a Qcad preference be identical from one machine to another?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:41 pm

You mentioned G:/Documents/DXF Image\Etage.jpg

Perhaps it is this issue:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2257
Fixed for release 3.27.0 (2021/12/01) the current stable release is 3.28.2

Seen all bug fixes since 3.25.2.0 you are probably always better of with updating to the latest stable version. :wink:

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:02 am

Hi,
Denis GAILLARD wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:04 pm
I copy the folder to a USB stick. I put the key on my cell phone and load the dxf.
I don't understand the role of the cell phone ... That shouldn't be involved in this task.

Common praxis would be: Copy folder on Pc to USB stick, then copy folder fron USB stick to laptop. Load on laptop from this folder the dxf with the linked image.

Alternativ loading direcly the dxf from the USB stick should work as well.

For clarification: Both machines are Windows 10, correct? And both machines run the same Qcad Pro version, also correct?

And you double checked that dxf and image are in that laptop folder exist, correct.

Last question for now: On your laptop - can you find the image in the drawing with the Selection filter? If yes zoom to selection and tell us what is going on. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Chat”