Milimeter, centimeter entry

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dahljam
Registered Member

Milimeter, centimeter entry

Post by dahljam » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Although the conversions are simple (25.4 mm/in), and you can enter the math easily, I had to do quite a bit of this with parts specs that I was using, and really irritating errors creep in. Using a calculator, and read and type results, or typing the equation on the command line, while also thinking of keeping relative or absolute, and which is x vs y, errors cause delays late at night.

Why not just let cc or cm represent the corresponding alternate unit?

Or let me choose and view the present unit of measure in the command line for example with up or down arrows?

I liked the book. It works well in my Kindle. I looked for unit of measure methods, but hope I didn't miss something about it.

Jim Dahlquist
Palatine, il

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Milimeter, centimeter entry

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Hello Jim - welcome to the forum!

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do but with more information I'm pretty confident that we can find a better solution.

First things first: QCAD is not able to handle different unit systems in one drawing. Yes, you can use some kind of scaling but the base unit will stay as appointed.

But - saying this - there are different ways to handle a task like this one. Right now I have the impression that you have already an Imperial drawing (Menu/Edit/Drawing Preferences/Drawing Unit = inch) what needs to be completed with metric parts. Correct? Do you have these parts as a dxf/dwg on hand or do you need to draw them new?

Please tell us more about this project or if possible post an example drawing. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Chat”