Convert Drawing to Inches ...

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Convert Drawing to Inches ...

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi,

we have now in QCad 3.16.0 a new "hidden" powerful tool called "Convert Drawing to Inches" (Menu/Misc/Modify). Amazing!!! That tool makes it very easy to convert a metric drawing into a imperial inch drawing. That opens many doors in my opinion ...

Question: Would it be possible to enlarge this tool possibility's to work also counter wise like imperial to metric? Maybe with a customizable chosen unit target in both directions? That would tear down most of our international converting problems!!!!

BTW: Undo is not working on this tool - is that on purpose?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Re: Convert Drawing to Inches ...

Post by Clive » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Great

Does it work the other way around Husky?

Otherwise it might close doors as well :cry:
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Clive wrote:Does it work the other way around Husky?
No, not to my knowledge. From metric to inch it works nice and as far as I tested it it does not matter what the source unit (in Metric!) is. mm - > inch, m - > inch, km - > inch .... no problem. :D
Clive wrote:Otherwise it might close doors as well :cry:
Yep - that is also true ... :cry:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 am

The tools in Misc are tools developed for a specific use case or customer or experimental tools which might or might not migrate to another menu eventually. The unit conversion tool also falls into this category. It would definitely need more work to be of use for a wider public. Unfortunately, my time is limited, so no promises.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:50 am

Andrew - believe me that everybody who is on regular basis in this Forum knows what you are doing and will understand that your time is limited or other things have just a higher priority. And we are happy about your hard work on QCad + Cam! At least me! :wink:

I have seen this conversion tool and thought: Wow - that could be the first step to solve a big problem for many CAD user: Unit conversion and the necessary extra tasks like scaling the drawing, resetting the Dim Values etc etc.

I see on a daily base how often user are struggling with the conversion from a metric to a imperial unit and reverse. I understand that because I was there too! And it makes not really sense because the imperial system should be not anymore used. But ....

However: The internet is full of plans, templates etc and many people are downloading this stuff for Home Projects or Startups ideas. They are good enough to be used in many Workshops / Schools / Garages with Standard machinery or fancy cnc equipment but those plans are coming from each corner of the world in all different units. Or an another example: Online part and norm library's ...
If I could use a conversion tool like this one which is easily able to convert and format my drawing to a for me familiar unit or a unit which is required by an "Oversea project" then it would tear down borders ...

.... and if I just need it for one DIY Project I don't have to understand why 0,5' is equal to 6" ... :shock:

... my two cents :wink:

Return to “Chat”