Qt 5.3 MSVC 2010?

Discussion forum for C++ and script developers who are using the QCAD development platform or who are looking to contribute to QCAD (translations, documentation, etc).

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files, scripts and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Taygete

Qt 5.3 MSVC 2010?

Post by Taygete » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Andrew,

Just a quick question.

I noticed you have been (or at least looks like) porting some files to Qt 5.3 and I was wondering if you are planning to include this in QCAD 3.5.2?

If so will you be using MSVC 2010 with Qt 5.3?

For me personally I have a copy of MSVC 2010 so this would be the ideal, however being able to also have access to the QCAD Pro being built with MinGW (gcc) would be the best overall solution then we can release our new plugins for QCAD pro without having to buy new MSVC compilers down the line.

Thanks,

Andrew.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Qt 5.3 MSVC 2010?

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:59 am

Taygete wrote:I noticed you have been (or at least looks like) porting some files to Qt 5.3 and I was wondering if you are planning to include this in QCAD 3.5.2?
While QCAD is being ported to Qt 5, QCAD 3.5.2 releases (and very likely also 3.6, 3.7 releases) will still be built using Qt 4.8.4 for Linux / Mac and Qt 4.7.4 for Windows.

Qt 5.x support is experimental and mainly interesting for QCAD Community users at this point.
Taygete wrote:For me personally I have a copy of MSVC 2010 so this would be the ideal, however being able to also have access to the QCAD Pro being built with MinGW (gcc) would be the best overall solution then we can release our new plugins for QCAD pro without having to buy new MSVC compilers down the line.
MinGW is not a possible alternative for QCAD Pro, since Teigha libraries are only available for MSVC. This is unlikely to ever change.
Note that we are using the free MSVC Express edition here for all QCAD for Windows releases.

Taygete

Post by Taygete » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the input.

With regards the MSVC Express Edition, I don't think I qualify if producing commercial applications (plugins for QCAD), I think the exception is if I were to release it onto the Microsoft App store which is not going to happen. As I say I do have a version of 2010 professional which will be okay for my current needs, it is just in the future if you were to opt for a later version of MSVC I would need probably need to upgrade.

Regards,

Andrew.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Taygete wrote:With regards the MSVC Express Edition, I don't think I qualify if producing commercial applications (plugins for QCAD)
I'm not aware of any licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions. The limitations are of a different nature: some advanced tools are only available in the pro editions, etc.

Taygete

Post by Taygete » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I will take a look at the express version if at a later point it becomes necessary.

Regards,

Andrew.

Return to “QCAD Programming, Script Programming and Contributing”