[solved] Extraneous BLUE dots in Imported SVG drawing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Len
Newbie Member

[solved] Extraneous BLUE dots in Imported SVG drawing

Post by Len » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:24 am

I am using Windows 7, QCAD 5.5.1, Inkscape 0.92.2 (SVG 1.1 specification)
When I import an Inkscape SVG drawing file into QCAD the selected image has many extraneous BLUE dots. The simple Inkscape line drawings are created from an overlay tracing. I delete the underlying image before saving as SVG. The Inkscape linewidth was 0.254 mm. These BLUE dot artifacts are causing a problem when I want to use a laser cutting system. What is causing these artifacts? How can I remedy the problem?
Attachments
Extraneous Noise_Inkscape SVG Import.JPG
Extraneous Noise_Inkscape SVG Import.JPG (31.42 KiB) Viewed 4396 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Extraneous BLUE dots in Imported SVG drawing

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:30 am

Hi Len - welcome to the QCAD forum.
Len wrote:I am using ... QCAD 5.5.1
Please doublecheck the Versions number. You're using a Community / Trial or Pro version?
Len wrote:These BLUE dot artifacts are causing a problem when I want to use a laser cutting system. What is causing these artifacts? How can I remedy the problem?
I need to see the drawing but it looks like points. Please attach the drawing to this thread. Thanks
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Len
Newbie Member

Post by Len » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 am

I am using the Pro version (paid) of QCAD (Version: 3.19.1.0 (3.19.1)). Attached is the DXF file your requested. If needed, please SELECT ALL and the extra spots will appear.

In response to a earlier question (~2011) QCAD stated that only simple lines, circles etc. are supported for SVG imported into QCAD. Not sure if that drawback still exists? Could that explain my difficulties with importing simple Inkscape drawing SVG files into QCAD?

Thanks,
Attachments
B_Traced_2_Delete_Original Layer.dxf
(129.88 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Len
Newbie Member

Post by Len » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:04 am

As noted in my recent posting....

"Postby andrew » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 am

Please note that SVG import is very limited at this point and was mainly added to facilitate some SVG files we have in the part library.

Only typical CAD entities (paths, lines, arc, circles, etc.) are supported."

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:17 am

Hallo Len - thank you for the drawing.
Len wrote:If needed, please SELECT ALL and the extra spots will appear.
Yes - I can reproduce it. This shape is built with 8 Lines, 72 Arcs and 19 Splines. Those "artifacts" are part of the arcs which indicates where the center of the arc is. 72 arcs = 72 reference points (blue points). Technically everything correct and as expected. I don't see a svg problem.

Why your Laser cutter has a problem with that? I don't know but ...
Len wrote:How can I remedy the problem?
You need to get rid of the arcs - easiest way would be to convert the shape into a Polyline.
How: Select (double mouse click) the outside shape (Eye isn't a problem!) and launch the Polyline tool "Create from selected entities" to convert the shape into a Polyline. The selection will disappear and is now a polyline. Done!
Husky-2017.12.23-02.png
Husky-2017.12.23-02.png (8.34 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
BTW: That is why I have ask you for the used QCAD Version. The Community Edition hasn't this tool ... :wink:
Have you noticed that there is already a 3.19.2 ....

Please keep us posted how it works.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Len
Newbie Member

Post by Len » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:20 am

Husky,
Thank you! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I am new to QCAD and CAD jargon and appreciate your kind assistance. I also installed the latest revision of QCAD as you suggested and also checked the box for automatic notification of updates in the Help menu.

Happy Holidays,
Len

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:37 am

You're welcome.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Husky

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”