can't add dimensions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

bkaiser
Registered Member

can't add dimensions

Post by bkaiser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 am

I am new to QCad and have not been able to add dimensions. I just get the Extension and dimension lines, but no arrow heads or label. I have checked out the forum and FAQ and still no luck. I am starting from the QCAD folder in the application folder in OS 10.4.9 and have tried different type sizes. The FAQ mentions starting in the application folder so that QCAD finds the font, pattern folders or entering the path to them. I do not have a font or pattern folder in my purchased download. Where would it be?
Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Please continue to try different sizes for the arrows and text labels. That is almost certainly the problem here. You might want to create a new drawing and try this with the default settings of QCAD (without greatly zooming in or out first):

- Create new drawing
- Draw a dimension

bkaiser
Registered Member

Adding Dimensions

Post by bkaiser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:41 am

Hi everybody,
Looks like you were right Andrew. I have the text size up to 30 and I can see it now although the arrow heads are still small. Maybe I am trying to do something with the wrong program. I am trying to draw an accurate plot plan of my property for a building permit and then do plans for a garage.
Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 am

To do this you need to figure out the scale of your drawing first (that's what you always have to do before you start drawing with any CAD system).

For example if your property is 15x15 meters and you want to print the plan on an A4 paper (210x297 millimeters), your scale might be 1:100 (one meter prints as one centimeter on paper).

Now decide in what unit you want to draw and set the drawing unit:
- Edit - Current Drawing Preferences - Units - Main drawing unit (e.g. meters)

Having figured out the scale and unit of your drawing, you can now enter the dimension sizes:

- Edit - Current Drawing Preferences - Dimensions
- Make sure "Keep proportions" is checked
- Enter a text height of for example 0.25 meters (prints as 2.5 millimeters on paper)

strebor
Registered Member

Post by strebor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 am

bkaiser and Andrew, I'm after doing the same thing so I will follow your advice in the above posting but I also have a bitmap image of the 'official' plan of the property whch I wish to place on a background layer.

After setting the scale how do I size and possition the image to overlay the vector drawing ?

In effect I am tracing the bitmap to correct and impose scale, am I going about this in the right way?

Thanks Strebor

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm

strebor wrote: After setting the scale how do I size and possition the image to overlay the vector drawing ?
You can move images like any other entities (Modify - Move or Edit - Cut / Edit - Paste or drag and drop). To select the image, click on its border line.

You can move an image into the background of a drawing using Modify - Send to Back.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”