Copying and pating between drawings

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

Paul Midgley
Registered Member

Copying and pating between drawings

Post by Paul Midgley » Thu May 31, 2007 8:29 pm

hello

I am having problems copying and pasting between drawings. I have been through the manual and followed the instructions but no matter how many times I have tried I cannot get it to work.

I am running Qcad on an Ubuntu 7.04 AMD 64 Linux system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

jtechlaser
Newbie Member

Post by jtechlaser » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:28 am

Hi Paul. You might be doing the same thing that I did. Make sure once you have selected your line to be cut/copied, that you click the "continue action" black arrow. You will then have a choice of what snaps to use from there. Once you have clicked on the line, paste your line in the drawing you wish to move it to. When you paste, if there is nothing in the drawing you can snap to, make sure you have the "free positiong" snap choosen.

I hope this helps.
Jim

pradi
Registered Member

Copying and pasting between drawings

Post by pradi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:55 pm

I also have the same problem when I want to merge a mechanical drawing part from library and past into a main drawing file. The suggestion can be done by following with no problem if it does on the same file. Is it a limited feature of Community Edition or not.

corra
Newbie Member

Post by corra » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:40 am

Hi, it's not a problem of community version, I use Qcad in Debian etch and I have no problem...You have to do as jtechlaser said: after selecting the draw and press "copy", you have click on the arrows (to end selection) and select a reference point. In the other drawing, when you paste, you have to select the reference point you want to paste the selection on...
I don't know if I'm not clear, but it worked for me
Regards,
corra

corra
Newbie Member

Post by corra » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:22 am

I noticed that you must have the two drawings open in the same qcad session, in order the copy-and-paste to work. Maybe it's your problem...

matbech

Post by matbech » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:12 pm

corra wrote:I noticed that you must have the two drawings open in the same qcad session, in order the copy-and-paste to work.
...I think the same. It's important too that the two drawings have the same page size and units in the drawing preferences.

prollymolly
Newbie Member

copy drawing to drawing

Post by prollymolly » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 pm

I too had trouble copying from one drawing to another. I continued to investigate and found my clip-board did contain the copy as I could paste to a blank drawing. I finally had success after I 'rebuilt' my target drawing by copying and pasting each layer of it to a new drawing - this new drawing would accept the pasted object.

Something had become corrupted with my drawing and it would not accept pastes.

John.Drabik
Newbie Member

Answered my own question. Here are the EXPLICIT steps

Post by John.Drabik » Wed May 12, 2010 4:53 am

To copy and paste one or more "things" do the following:

1) suggest you Deselect everything (Select -> Deselect All)
2) from the left menu, choose one of the selection tools, for example, Select Entities
3) select one (or more) things
4) press the Copy icon on the toolbar (or press CTRL-C)
5) QCad now prompts you for a reference *relative* to the items to be copied; for example, if you are copying a line, you may want the left end of the line to be the "hot" end

You can now do whatever you wish. When it comes time to paste, do:

1) press the Paste button (or press CTRL-V)
2) QCad now prompts again for a "reference" point; this is actual the point where you want to place the "hot" point you selected previously, such as the left end of a line, or somewhere among a group of items
3) steps 1 and 2 of this (paste) section can be repeated as often as desired

DO NOT follow the PDF Users Guide, which talks about right-clicking on the toolbar for example. It doesn't work. Also, you may find it helpful to watch for the bold black arrows in the left-side "menus". These indicate when you can move to the next stage (the lower arrow, pointing ---> ) or go back to a previous menu (the <---- arrow).

Blecha
Newbie Member

Copy-paste

Post by Blecha » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm

In my version 2.2.2.0 copy-paste does not work in a way described by John.Drabik. You have to use "copy with reference" if you want to choose the reference point of the copied drawing. The "copy" would automatically select the center of the drawing with no choice to change.

By the way, I would expect the reference point during the "paste" to be rather called "target". It would be cosistent with Qcad standard terminology.

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”